College Physics Problem Capacitor / Inductor

In summary: When the current in the inductor is maximum, the potential difference across the capacitor is also maximum. In summary, at the instant the current in the inductor is maximum, the potential difference across the capacitor is also maximum. At this moment, the current in the inductor is 3.50 A.
aamartineng17
A 10.0 Microfarad Capacitor is charged to 170 Micro Coulombs then connected across the ends of a 4.00mH inductor.

(a) Find the maximum current in the inductor.

(b) At the instant the current in the inductor is maximum. How much charge is on the capacitor parallel plates?

(c) Find the maximum potential across the capacitor.

(d) At the instant the potential across the capacitor is maximum. What is the current in the inductor?

(e) Find the maximum energy stored in the inductor.

(f) At the instance the energy stored in the inductor is maximum. what is the current in the circuit?

I am really stuck on calculating this physics problem, especially part a. Could someone please give me some assistance in calculating this Physics Problem. I really appreciate your help. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
aamartineng17 said:
A 10.0 Microfarad Capacitor is charged to 170 Micro Coulombs then connected across the ends of a 4.00mH inductor.

(a) Find the maximum current in the inductor.

(b) At the instant the current in the inductor is maximum. How much charge is on the capacitor parallel plates?

(c) Find the maximum potential across the capacitor.

(d) At the instant the potential across the capacitor is maximum. What is the current in the inductor?

(e) Find the maximum energy stored in the inductor.

(f) At the instance the energy stored in the inductor is maximum. what is the current in the circuit?

I am really stuck on calculating this physics problem, especially part a. Could someone please give me some assistance in calculating this Physics Problem. I really appreciate your help. Thanks

Hi aamartineng17, Welcome to Physics Forums.

These kinds of problems are often easier if you think in terms of conservation laws. Here there are two energy storage devices (a Capacitor and an Inductor) which are going to trade energy back and forth. The result is oscillations of current and voltage.

When the circuit begins operation, only the capacitor has any energy stored since it has an initial voltage; There's no current flowing so the inductor has no stored energy.

What do you know about energy for these devices? Do you have formulas?

Hello Everyone,

For the Following Physics Problem listed below:

I tried solving the problem, here were my results:

(Part a)

*Note: That the charged Capacitor is connected across an inductor.
The Equation for the voltage of a capacitor is the following: V = Q / C
For this problem Q = 1.7 x 10^-4 C, C = 1 x 10^-5 F
I calculated the Voltage of Capacitor to be:
V = Q / C = 1.7 x 10^-4 C / 1 x 10^-5 F = 17 Volts

I know that since the Capacitor is connected across the inductor I know that the inductor will then have a potential difference of 17 Volts.

**Note: At the instant when the charge on the capacitor reaches zero, Q = 0, the current in the Inductor has reached its max value, but at this instant the current in the Inductor is not changing, [-L (Delta I / Delta t) = Q / C = 0). At this moment, the magnetic field B in the inductor is also a maximum.

*** Note: I then calculated the Resonance Frequency using the following equation:
f = fo = (1 / 2* pie) * sqrt (1 / L * C)
f = fo = (1 / 2 * pie) * sqrt ( 1 / (4 x 10^-2 H) * (1.7 x 10^-4 C)
f = fo = 193 Hz

I then used the following equation
XL = 2 * pie*f* L = 4.851 ohms (the reactance for inductor)

I then used the Equation V = I * XL , to calculate the max current in inductor:

I = V / XL = 17 V / 4.851 ohms = 3.50 A (Calculated Max Current of Inductor)

I would really appreciate it if someone could please tell me if this is the correct way to solve (Part A) of this problem. Thanks Again for your time and help. I really appreciate and value your time and help!

When the charge reaches zero on the capacitor and the inductor has its maximum current, the voltage across the capacitor (and thus the inductor, too) will be zero. So your solution method for the current doesn't look right. (Also, it implies a steady-state AC situation, and you're looking for an instantaneous value in a transient situation).

Also, you appear to have plugged in the charge on the capacitor rather than the capacitance in your workings for the resonance frequency.

I might suggest that you look at it from an energy point of view. Capacitors store energy in electric fields, so their maximum energy stored corresponds to when they have a maximum potential difference across them. Inductors store energy in magnetic fields, and have maximal energy stored when their currents are maximum...

I am happy to assist you with this physics problem. Let's break down each part and use the relevant equations to find the answers.

(a) The maximum current in the inductor can be found using the equation I = V/R, where V is the voltage across the inductor and R is the resistance. In this case, the voltage is given by V = Q/C, where Q is the charge on the capacitor and C is the capacitance. Therefore, the maximum current in the inductor is I = Q/(RC). Plugging in the values given, we get:

I = (170 microCoulombs)/[(4.00mH)(10.0 microfarads)] = 4.25 A

(b) At the instant the current in the inductor is maximum, the charge on the capacitor will be equal to the maximum charge that the inductor can pass through, which is given by Q = CV. Using the values given, we get:

Q = (10.0 microfarads)(4.25 A) = 42.5 microCoulombs

(c) The maximum potential across the capacitor can be found using the equation V = Q/C, where Q is the charge on the capacitor and C is the capacitance. Plugging in the values given, we get:

V = (42.5 microCoulombs)/(10.0 microfarads) = 4.25 V

(d) At the instant the potential across the capacitor is maximum, the current in the inductor will be zero, as there is no change in the voltage across the inductor. Therefore, the current in the inductor is also zero.

(e) The maximum energy stored in the inductor can be found using the equation E = (1/2)LI^2, where L is the inductance and I is the current in the inductor. Plugging in the values given, we get:

E = (1/2)(4.00mH)(4.25 A)^2 = 36.0 microJoules

(f) At the instant the energy stored in the inductor is maximum, the current in the circuit will be zero, as there is no change in the energy stored in the inductor. Therefore, the current in the circuit is also zero.

I hope this helps you in solving this physics problem. Remember to always use the relevant equations and units when solving problems in

1. What is a capacitor and how does it work?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It consists of two parallel plates separated by a dielectric material. When a voltage is applied, the plates accumulate opposite charges, creating an electric field between them. This stored energy can then be released when the capacitor is connected to a circuit.

2. How do I calculate the capacitance of a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor can be calculated using the formula C = Q/V, where C is the capacitance in farads, Q is the charge stored on the plates in coulombs, and V is the voltage across the plates in volts. Capacitance is also affected by the physical characteristics of the capacitor, such as the surface area of the plates and the distance between them.

3. What is an inductor and how does it work?

An inductor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of a magnetic field. It consists of a coil of wire with an iron core. When a current flows through the coil, a magnetic field is created around it. This stored energy can then be released when the current is interrupted or changed.

4. How do I calculate the inductance of an inductor?

The inductance of an inductor can be calculated using the formula L = Φ/I, where L is the inductance in henries, Φ is the magnetic flux through the coil in webers, and I is the current flowing through the coil in amperes. The inductance is also affected by the physical characteristics of the inductor, such as the number of turns in the coil and the material of the core.

5. How are capacitors and inductors used in electronic circuits?

Capacitors and inductors are used in electronic circuits for a variety of purposes. Capacitors are commonly used to block DC signals and allow AC signals to pass through, store energy, and smooth out voltage fluctuations. Inductors are commonly used in filters, oscillators, and switching circuits to control the flow of current and block unwanted signals. They can also be used in combination to create a resonant circuit.