What may be the negative catalyst?

In summary: Pectin : A polysaccharide used in making jams , jellies. A thickener and suspendingagent. Look in a supermarket for this product.Can you please suggest me what may be the probable thickeners? Is it sodium polyacrylate? or sodium alginate or gums.Thanks in advancePeace
duke656
The reaction between sodium carbonate and calcium chloride gives the table salt and calcium carbonate. The reaction takes place immediately after mixing two solutions. Can anyone suggest me how the reaction can be slowed down?

Thank in advance
Peace
Deb

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The most obvious way is to lower the temperature.

The rate is limited by the diffusion and 'availibility' of materials in solution. You might try using a thickener in solution along with a sugar. Sugar complexes calcium and competes with the carbonate. Premix the sugar with the calcium chloride solution and then add thickener. Add thickener to the sodium carbonate solution and then briefly mix the two solutions.

Last edited:
Thank yo very much aroc91 and chemisttree. I once tried by lowering the temperature. It did not work actually, probably because I want to mix higher concentration say 0.5 molar solution. I will follow the suggestion of chemisttree and let you know. If you have other ideas please share with me.

Peace
Deb

Can you please suggest me what may be the probable thickeners? Is it sodium polyacrylate? or sodium alginate or gums.

Thanks in advance

Peace
Deb

duke656 said:
Can you please suggest me what may be the probable thickeners? Is it sodium polyacrylate? or sodium alginate or gums.

Thanks in advance

Peace
Deb

Pectin : A polysaccharide used in making jams , jellies. A thickener and suspending
agent. Look in a supermarket for this product.

duke656 said:

Thanks in advance

Peace
Deb

Polyacrylate won't work. Calcium precipitates the polyacrylate. Calcium is a well known crosslinker for alginate as well so that won't do either. I was thinking of starches. Perhaps cornstarch. Thicken the starch in plain water and then add the calcium to test if it works.

morrobay said:
Pectin : A polysaccharide used in making jams , jellies. A thickener and suspending
agent. Look in a supermarket for this product.

Good idea. Pectin crosslinks with calcium so you can control the thickness AND chelate the calcium in one step... no sugar needs to be added. Make the pectin in plain water and add a solution of calcium to it. Allow it to sit a bit and then add the carbonate solution. Just might do it.

http://www.pomonapectin.com/faqs.html

What may be the negative catalyst?

The negative catalyst refers to a factor or event that causes a decrease or disruption in a system or process. It can have a negative impact on the outcome or result of a situation.

What are some examples of negative catalysts?

Some common examples of negative catalysts include economic downturns, natural disasters, political instability, and technological failures. These events can have a negative effect on businesses, societies, and individuals.

How can you identify a negative catalyst?

A negative catalyst can often be identified by its sudden and unexpected nature. It can also be recognized by its disruptive impact on a system or process, causing a decline or setback in progress.

What can be the consequences of a negative catalyst?

The consequences of a negative catalyst can vary depending on the specific situation. However, they can include financial losses, social upheaval, and delays or failures in achieving goals or objectives.

How can negative catalysts be mitigated or avoided?

While some negative catalysts may be unavoidable, others can be mitigated or avoided through proper risk management strategies. This can include contingency planning, diversification, and implementing measures to prevent or minimize the effects of potential catalysts.