Understanding the Bethe-Salpeter Equation: Introduction and Examples

• Thread starter EuphoGuy
  • Start date
In summary, the Bethe-Salpeter equation is a relativistic approximation to the Breit Equation that is only useful when the bound state can be described in terms of an effective potential.
EuphoGuy
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a good introduction or examples of how the Bethe-Salpeter equation is used. I'm currently looking at the large N section of Sidney Coleman's Aspects of symmetry and find his treatment rather impenetrable.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
EuphoGuy said:
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a good introduction or examples of how the Bethe-Salpeter equation is used. I'm currently looking at the large N section of Sidney Coleman's Aspects of symmetry and find his treatment rather impenetrable.

Thanks!

Good question and I fear I can't help you. But it is curious to note that in nonrelativistic QM, you solve most of the time bound state problems, while in QED you are only shown scattering theory.

But it is curious to note that in nonrelativistic QM, you solve most of the time bound state problems, while in QED you are only shown scattering theory.
A good place to look for this is Weinberg's QFT Vol I, Chap 14, which devotes 30 pages to bound state calculations.

The use of bethe salpeter formalism first arose in the work of hyperfine splitting of positronium by karplus and klein paper however the required derivation for it can be found in itzykson and zuber'quantum field theory'.

Thanks, I'm looking at Itzykson and Zuber right now, and it seems helpful so far. I appreciate it :)

Bill_K said:
A good place to look for this is Weinberg's QFT Vol I, Chap 14, which devotes 30 pages to bound state calculations.

Yes, but if I remember well, he concludes that the Bethe Salpeter equation is only usefull when the bound state can be described in terms of an effective potential.

I remember that a very good description of the Bethe-Salpeter equation can be found in
D. Lurie, Particles and Fields.
Lurie was using the BS equation in his own research, so it is not a second hand exposition.

DrDu said:
Yes, but if I remember well, he concludes that the Bethe Salpeter equation is only usefull when the bound state can be described in terms of an effective potential.
In non relativistic calculation of positronium hyperfine splitting ,matrix elements are taken the non relativistic limit and the Fourier transform of those matrix elements(for both annihilation and direct exchange diagram for lowest order) gives the potential which are considered for taking the expectation value for calculating the energy difference.Bethe salpeter formalism is a relativistic version so it should be able to deal with more complexity.

My impression is that the Bethe-Salpeter Equation is a formulation whose reputation far exceeds its actual usefulness.

I have a copy of B-S's "Quantum Mechanics of One and Two Electron Atoms", in which every aspect of atomic wavefunctions and energy levels is exhaustively discussed, and yet the B-S Equation hardly gets a mention. As a nonrelativistic approximation they say it "gives results equivalent to the Breit Equation", and "little progress has been made in its application to highly relativistic systems."

1. What is the Bethe-Salpeter equation?

The Bethe-Salpeter equation is a mathematical equation used to describe the behavior of two-particle systems in quantum mechanics. It is often used in theoretical physics to study the properties of atoms, molecules, and solids.

2. How does the Bethe-Salpeter equation work?

The Bethe-Salpeter equation works by incorporating the effects of interactions between two particles in a system. It takes into account both the particles' individual properties and their interactions with each other, resulting in a more accurate description of the system's behavior.

3. What are some applications of the Bethe-Salpeter equation?

The Bethe-Salpeter equation has a wide range of applications in various fields of physics, including quantum chemistry, solid-state physics, and nuclear physics. It is often used to study the electronic properties of materials and the behavior of particles in a magnetic field.

4. Is the Bethe-Salpeter equation only applicable to two-particle systems?

No, the Bethe-Salpeter equation can also be extended to describe systems with more than two particles. However, the complexity of the equation increases significantly with the number of particles, making it challenging to solve for large systems.

5. What are some challenges in understanding and solving the Bethe-Salpeter equation?

The Bethe-Salpeter equation is a highly complex mathematical equation that requires advanced mathematical techniques and computational methods to solve. Additionally, it also involves approximations and assumptions, which can affect the accuracy of the results. Thus, it can be challenging to fully understand and solve the Bethe-Salpeter equation for complex systems.