Dynamics - Normal and Tangential Motion

The maximum acceleration that the car can have without sliding is 17.90 ft/s^2.In summary, the maximum acceleration that a car can have without sliding is 17.90 ft/s^2, given that the tires are capable of exerting a maximum frictional force of 1753 lb, the car is traveling at 75 ft/s, and the curvature of the road is ρ=560 ft. This is calculated using the equation ƩFn = man and taking into account the tangential and normal acceleration. The maximum tangential acceleration is 10.04 ft/s^2, while the maximum normal acceleration is 14.85 ft/s^2.
aaronfue

Homework Statement

The tires on a car are capable of exerting a maximum frictional force of 1753 lb. If the car is traveling at 75 ft.s and the curvature of the road is ρ=560 ft, what is the maximum acceleration that the car can have without sliding?

Homework Equations

ƩFn = man

The Attempt at a Solution

Ff = 1753 lb
v = 75 ft/s
ρ=560 ft
wcar = 3150 lb

an = [itex]\frac{v^2}{ρ}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{75^2}{560}[/itex] = 10.04 ft/s2

I believe that the acceleration would be the magnitude of the tangential and normal acceleration.

ƩFn = man = [itex]\frac{3150}{32.2}[/itex]*10.04 = 982.2 lb

1753 = √Ft2 + 982.22

Solving for Ft = 1452 lb;

Now solving for at → 1452 = [itex]\frac{3150}{32.2}[/itex]*at
at = 14.85 ft/s2

a = √at2 + an2 = √14.852 + 10.042 = 17.90 ft/s2

I'd appreciate it if someone could verify my work.

Physics news on Phys.org
I get the same answer as you. I think the question is asking for the maximum tangential acceleration which is 10.04 ft/sec^2.

LawrenceC said:
I get the same answer as you. I think the question is asking for the maximum tangential acceleration which is 10.04 ft/sec^2.

Tangential was actually 14.85 ft/s^2.

And it makes sense too.

Thanks.

Last edited:
aaronfue said:
Tangential was actually 14.85 ft/s^2.

And it makes sense too.

Thanks.

I typed the wrong number...should have typed 14.85 ft/s^2.

Your work looks correct. The maximum acceleration that the car can have without sliding is 17.90 ft/s^2. This means that the car can accelerate up to 17.90 ft/s^2 without losing traction and sliding off the road. It is important for car manufacturers to consider this maximum acceleration when designing tires and other components of the vehicle to ensure safe and efficient driving.

1. What is the difference between normal and tangential motion?

Normal motion is the movement of an object perpendicular to a surface, while tangential motion is the movement along a surface.

2. How is normal motion affected by gravity?

Gravity affects normal motion by exerting a force perpendicular to the surface of the object, causing it to accelerate towards the surface.

3. What is the relationship between normal and tangential acceleration?

Normal and tangential acceleration are independent of each other. Normal acceleration is caused by a force perpendicular to the surface, while tangential acceleration is caused by a force parallel to the surface.

4. Can an object have both normal and tangential motion at the same time?

Yes, an object can have both normal and tangential motion at the same time. For example, a ball rolling down a hill will have tangential motion due to its movement along the surface, as well as normal motion due to gravity pulling it towards the ground.

5. How does friction affect normal and tangential motion?

Friction can affect both normal and tangential motion. It can decrease the tangential velocity of an object by exerting a force in the opposite direction of motion, and it can also cause normal motion by exerting a force perpendicular to the surface.