Register to reply

TE, TM and TEM Modes in Lasers

Share this thread:
Septim
Oct15-13, 05:08 PM
P: 121
Greetings everyone,

I am confusing the definitions in the title of the post all the time. I have books about lasers, yet none of them explain these concepts lucidly and clearly in my opinion. For example, what is our reference plane when we are dealing with semiconductor laser diodes and mention TE and TM modes? How can a mode be TEM; are there two reference planes? These sort of questions always confuse my mind and the books I found usually aim too high or too low with regard to my level in my opinion. Where can I learn these definitions by heart? Please do not hesitate to post your suggestions and ideas.

Thanks in advance
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
A new, tunable device for spintronics
Researchers study gallium to design adjustable electronic components
Gadolinium-based material that can be cooled by varying magnetic field
UltrafastPED
Oct15-13, 09:24 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 1,908
Does this help: http://www.imedea.uib.es/~salvador/c...h02/02-13.html
Septim
Oct16-13, 05:56 AM
P: 121
Quote Quote by UltrafastPED View Post
Thanks, I will have a through look on this text, by the way I think TE and TM definitions for waveguides and lasers are similar. That is for example in a semiconductor laser in TE mode electric field of the wave is perpendicular to the p and n type planes at the end of semiconductor materials.

Claude Bile
Oct19-13, 08:10 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,477
TE, TM and TEM Modes in Lasers

A TE mode is one where the B-field component in a given direction (typically z; whatever the longituinal direction is) is 0.
A TM mode is one where the E-field component in a given direction is 0.

A TEM mode is one where neither the Magnetic or Electric fields are 0 in said direction.

Remember modes = solutions to the PDE that governs the device. TE and TM definitions are usually the same for waveguides and lasers, but it is not compulsary...it always pays to double-check these things.

Claude.

Register to reply