What is this functional group, and how do you make it

In summary, the conversation discusses a retrosynthesis question on an exam that involves a molecule with a functional group that initially caused surprise. The individual decided to remove the group and replace it with a double bond, which led to a retro diels alder reaction. However, there was confusion about how to create the double oxygen structure, and it was later clarified as an acetal protected aldehyde. The t-butyl group serves to protect the aldehyde, and osmium tetroxide catalysis can be used to release it for further reactions.
CrimpJiggler
On an exam question recently, I had to perform a retrosynthesis on a molecule and it had this functional group on it:
fcfa57f55007ac232c9653d83c1e6eab.png

it took me by surprise. I decided to cleave the whole thing off, and replace it with a double bond (cuz I know you can make cis diols from double bonds) then things seemed to fall into place because the double bond let me do a retro diels alder and finish the question, but I couldn't explain how to make that double oxygen thing. I said you could make it with an osmium tetroxide catalysed reaction, but that doesn't explain the t-butyl group. After the exam, my classmates said it was an acetal protected carbonyl group but how can it be an acetal if the oxygens are attached at different carbons?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The functional group you are referring to is an acetal protected aldehyde. An acetal is a compound that contains two alcohol functional groups attached to the same carbon atom. In this case, the two alcohol functional groups are attached to different carbons, but these groups are held together by an ether linkage, which is why it is referred to as an acetal. The t-butyl group serves to protect the aldehyde from reacting with other molecules before the reaction is carried out. Osmium tetroxide catalysis can be used to cleave the acetal and free the aldehyde, allowing it to react.

What is a functional group?

A functional group is a specific arrangement of atoms in a molecule that is responsible for its characteristic chemical reactions and properties.

What are some common functional groups?

Some common functional groups include hydroxyl (-OH), carboxyl (-COOH), amino (-NH2), and methyl (-CH3).

How do you determine the functional group of a molecule?

The functional group of a molecule can be determined by analyzing its molecular structure and identifying the specific arrangement of atoms that is responsible for its reactivity.

How do you make a functional group?

A functional group can be made by chemically modifying a molecule through various reactions, such as substitution or addition reactions, to introduce the desired functional group.

What are some examples of functional group transformations?

Examples of functional group transformations include converting an alcohol (-OH) into an alkyl halide (-X) through a substitution reaction, or converting an alkene (-C=C-) into an alcohol (-OH) through an addition reaction.