Register to reply

How does the wavelength of a water wave affect diffraction?

by ranger275
Tags: diffraction, effect, water, wave, wavelength
Share this thread:
ranger275
Mar13-14, 10:32 AM
P: 17
If I send a single wave toward a corner won't it bend around the corner? If so, how does the wavelength of that single wave (is wavelength defined for a single wave?) effect how much it bends?

Every picture/illustration I have found on diffraction shows a series of lines (plane waves) approaching a gap and shows how the waves bend more if the gap is made smaller. What I haven't seen is a picture keeping the gap the same and changing the wavelength. I don't see how the distance between crests has anything to do with how much each crest bends as it leaves the gap.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
dauto
Mar13-14, 10:53 AM
Thanks
P: 1,948
What do you mean by a single wave? do you mean a single crest? If so than you have to understand that short wave packets such as your single crest wave can be Fourier expanded into a sum of multiple crest waves (Principle of superposition). Each component of that expansion will diffract according with its wavelength.
dauto
Mar13-14, 10:54 AM
Thanks
P: 1,948
Quote Quote by ranger275 View Post
I don't see how the distance between crests has anything to do with how much each crest bends as it leaves the gap.
Interesting that it does, isn't it?

sophiecentaur
Mar13-14, 11:15 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 12,185
How does the wavelength of a water wave affect diffraction?

If I send a single wave toward a corner won't it bend around the corner? If so, how does the wavelength of that single wave (is wavelength defined for a single wave?) effect how much it bends?

Every picture/illustration I have found on diffraction shows a series of lines (plane waves) approaching a gap and shows how the waves bend more if the gap is made smaller. What I haven't seen is a picture keeping the gap the same and changing the wavelength. I don't see how the distance between crests has anything to do with how much each crest bends as it leaves the gap.
What is the difference? If the geometry is described in units of 'a wavelength', the absolute size of things is not relevant. The scale of the picture that's drawn may alter but the angles don't, for a given ratio of gap to wavelength.
Drakkith
Mar13-14, 04:45 PM
Mentor
P: 11,884
What I haven't seen is a picture keeping the gap the same and changing the wavelength.
Here you go. This video shows changing the wavelength of a water wave through an aperture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH0NfVUTWG4
olivermsun
Mar14-14, 08:21 AM
P: 788
Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
Here you go. This video shows changing the wavelength of a water wave through an aperture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH0NfVUTWG4
Great video! (Although some of the comments below it appear to be wrong.)
Drakkith
Mar14-14, 09:20 AM
Mentor
P: 11,884
Quote Quote by olivermsun View Post
Great video! (Although some of the comments below it appear to be wrong.)
It's youtube. I'd be surprised if you didn't find a reference to hitler or nazis in the comments.
sophiecentaur
Mar14-14, 10:58 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 12,185
One point that's easy to forget. If you go from a narrow to a wide aperture, for the same wavelength, you get more total energy passing through. The actual amount of energy flowing 'off axis' may not change significantly. It's just that more energy gets through and that energy goes in the forward direction.
You get very little light through a pinhole, compared with a porthole but the porthole is still diffracting some. The diffraction at the edges can be very relevant even when an object is very large. It must, for instance, be a consideration for Stealth designs, where they go to a lot of trouble to make sure that specular reflections are angled away from the horizontal - yet there will be some energy reflected (due to diffraction) right back at the transmitter, unless they eliminate / reduce it in some way.
ranger275
Mar16-14, 06:25 AM
P: 17
Thank you for all the comments. The video did clearly show the change in refraction as you changed wavelength.

Register to reply