Why Does Water from a Hose Feel Stronger at a Distance?

• Thread starter Alex Jong
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hose Water
In summary, Dave noticed that when he put his hand close to a water spraying hose, he didn't feel much of the water. However, when he moved his hand further away, he felt the water become stronger. However, Dave doesn't know why this is. Additionally, Gmar mentioned that this can be studied scientifically through biology or neuroscience.
Alex Jong
So i noticed that when you put your hand really close to a spraying hose you don't really feel anything but when you move you hand further away it feels like it gets stronger. But how? I know that when the water leaves the hose the waters speed only drops not increases then why is it when i move my hand the further away it gets stronger? p.s. sorry for my English ;(

Physics news on Phys.org
I have always felt the water pressure stronger right at the nozzle
and for the reasons you stated

Dave

I don't know if I can trust your sense of feeling. The only explanation I can come up with is gravity. Is the water stream falling down in an arc?

Alex Jong said:
I know that when the water leaves the hose the waters speed only drops not increases then why is it when i move my hand the further away it gets stronger?
If you put your hand on the hole, the water flow stops (or slows down significantly). If you take it away it flows much faster.

jet disperse with range. spreads over greater surface area of skin and tricks brain. also separation of jet into droplets same illusion.

gmar said:
jet disperse with range. spreads over greater surface area of skin and tricks brain. also separation of jet into droplets same illusion.

Thank you Gmar I was hoping for someone to confirm it.

Just as we learn Physics you can learn to interpret the experiences your body is telling you. The constant steady pressure of a homogenous water jet vs the pulsing, throbbing impact of the same jet as it disperses and breaks into drops.

This can be studied scientifically through biology or neuroscience or whatever domain it comes under but it also known intuitively by those with active lifestyles (who regularly have to experience and interpret physical sensations) and by those who look inward and study their mind, such as with practitioners of meditation and Yoga.

1. What causes the water to spray out of a hose?

The water spraying out of a hose is caused by the pressure created by the force of the water pushing against the closed valve of the hose. When the valve is opened, the water is able to flow through the hose and be released in a spray.

2. How does the nozzle of the hose affect the water spray?

The nozzle of the hose controls the shape and intensity of the water spray by changing the flow rate and direction of the water. A narrow nozzle will create a more concentrated and forceful spray, while a wider nozzle will create a softer and wider spray.

3. Why does the water sometimes sputter or stop spraying?

This can happen when there is air trapped in the hose. When the air reaches the nozzle, it can disrupt the flow of water, causing it to sputter or stop altogether. To fix this, simply release the air by turning on the hose and letting the water run for a few seconds before using it.

4. What is the best way to control the direction of the water spray?

The best way to control the direction of the water spray is by adjusting the angle of the nozzle. By tilting the nozzle up or down, you can change the height of the water spray. Tilting it left or right can also change the direction of the spray.

5. How can I conserve water while using a hose?

To conserve water while using a hose, you can use a spray nozzle with different settings to control the flow of water. Additionally, you can turn off the hose when not in use and use a broom or rake to clean up debris instead of using the hose. This will help save water and reduce your water bill.