Register to reply

Water spraying out of a hose.

by Alex Jong
Tags: hose, spraying, water
Share this thread:
Alex Jong
Apr6-14, 07:40 PM
P: 6
So i noticed that when you put your hand really close to a spraying hose you don't really feel anything but when you move you hand further away it feels like it gets stronger. But how? I know that when the water leaves the hose the waters speed only drops not increases then why is it when i move my hand the further away it gets stronger? p.s. sorry for my English ;(
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
davenn
Apr6-14, 09:02 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,651
I have always felt the water pressure stronger right at the nozzle
and for the reasons you stated

Dave
Khashishi
Apr7-14, 01:14 PM
P: 887
I don't know if I can trust your sense of feeling. The only explanation I can come up with is gravity. Is the water stream falling down in an arc?

A.T.
Apr7-14, 01:35 PM
P: 4,061
Water spraying out of a hose.

Quote Quote by Alex Jong View Post
I know that when the water leaves the hose the waters speed only drops not increases then why is it when i move my hand the further away it gets stronger?
If you put your hand on the hole, the water flow stops (or slows down significantly). If you take it away it flows much faster.
gmar
Apr8-14, 10:39 AM
P: 25
jet disperse with range. spreads over greater surface area of skin and tricks brain. also separation of jet into droplets same illusion.
Alex Jong
Apr8-14, 01:33 PM
P: 6
Quote Quote by gmar View Post
jet disperse with range. spreads over greater surface area of skin and tricks brain. also separation of jet into droplets same illusion.

Thank you Gmar I was hoping for someone to confirm it.
gmar
Apr9-14, 05:35 AM
P: 25
Just as we learn Physics you can learn to interpret the experiences your body is telling you. The constant steady pressure of a homogenous water jet vs the pulsing, throbbing impact of the same jet as it disperses and breaks into drops.

This can be studied scientifically through biology or neuroscience or whatever domain it comes under but it also known intuitively by those with active lifestyles (who regularly have to experience and interpret physical sensations) and by those who look inward and study their mind, such as with practitioners of meditation and Yoga.

Register to reply