Average Velocity of Particle in Solution at RTP

In summary: In reality, real gases are not ideal and there are many variables that affect the behavior of particles in a gas.
PhiJ
Does anybody know the average velocity of a particle in solution at rtp?

Physics news on Phys.org
rtp :S

Do you mean standard/normal temperature and pressure (STP)/(NTP)?

Oops, I still think of it as room temperature and pressure :blushing: . Yes. I mean standard temperature and pressure.

Okay, more specifics? What solution? What particle? etc.

You'll probably want to use (I think it's Boltzmann's Theorem) [tex]<{v_x}^{2}>=<{v_y}^{2}>=<{v_z}^{2}>[/tex].

Then you know that [tex]nRT = \frac{1}{3} Nm <v^{2}>[/tex]

Or you can pretty much do any derivation.

Last edited:
I thought that equation was just for Gases? The idea was ions in the body.

hmm...average velocity in a solution. Have no idea about forumlae.

I can however theorize a bit.

A particle in a solution (liquid) moves about totally random as a part of Brownian movement. The velocity also depends on the mass of the particle and the density of the solution, and the strength of the solutions intermolecular forces (ex. hydrogen bonds etc.).

Well the common gas laws (Boyle's, Charles' and the pressure law) works in both gases and liquids, which is called fluids with a common name.

Phij said:
The idea was ions in the body.

Here we have another problem. Ions in the body. Let's take the human cell for example:

The cellmembrane will let some particles through and others not. Also the direction of flow relays on diffusion (osmosis in this context).

If I were to try and make a fair calculation on the average particle (ion) in the body i would have to include many variables and would probably have to resort to programming for it. There are a lot more variables than i have mentioned here and a qualified guess would be 100+.

Correct me if I'm wrong but to do a rough calculation you can use the forumla given above

Hmm... Another imposible problem. Should have thought about the cell membrane. That will slow things down a bit!
I thought the laws were derived from ideal gas equations assuming that particles had no attraction between them, no energy loss, small particle size etc.. If they have attraction between them, then the derivation, and hence the formulae will be wrong won't they? Then again, I may be remembering it wrong, as its a year since I was taught it.

If there are charges then it turns into an E&M problem.

Do you have any specific ion you're trying to figure out? It will matter where in the body too. This will probably be very hard to figure out.

Don't worry, it was more a general interest.
Thanks for the help.

PhiJ said:
Hmm... Another imposible problem. Should have thought about the cell membrane. That will slow things down a bit!
I thought the laws were derived from ideal gas equations assuming that particles had no attraction between them, no energy loss, small particle size etc.. If they have attraction between them, then the derivation, and hence the formulae will be wrong won't they? Then again, I may be remembering it wrong, as its a year since I was taught it.

There is a difference between ideal gases and real gases. The ideal gas law is accurate only when it is far from the conditions at which it would liquify (this ensures that the particle has enough energy to overcome the attractive forces between them). That is for the ideal gas laws to work 1005 the gase would have to be above its critical temperature (the temperature which the gase would be liquified by preassure alone), and it must also be well below its critical pressure, which is the pressure at which the gas become a liquid when at its critical temperature

1. What is the average velocity of a particle in solution at room temperature and pressure (RTP)?

The average velocity of a particle in solution at RTP can be calculated using the formula v = sqrt(3RT/M), where v is the average velocity, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and M is the molar mass of the particle.

2. How does temperature affect the average velocity of a particle in solution at RTP?

As the temperature increases, the average velocity of a particle in solution at RTP also increases. This is because an increase in temperature leads to an increase in kinetic energy, causing the particles to move faster and therefore have a higher average velocity.

3. Does the size of the particle affect its average velocity in solution at RTP?

Yes, the size of the particle does affect its average velocity in solution at RTP. Smaller particles have a higher average velocity compared to larger particles at the same temperature, due to their smaller mass and therefore higher kinetic energy.

4. Can the average velocity of a particle in solution at RTP be negative?

No, the average velocity of a particle in solution at RTP cannot be negative. Velocity is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In a solution, the average velocity of the particles will always be positive, as they are constantly moving in a random direction.

5. How is the average velocity of a particle in solution at RTP related to its diffusion rate?

The average velocity of a particle in solution at RTP is directly proportional to its diffusion rate. This means that as the average velocity of the particles increases, their diffusion rate also increases. This is because a higher average velocity means the particles are moving faster and are more likely to collide and diffuse through the solution.