Need your help with parallel circuits

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to calculate the total resistance of a heating element made of 3 strips of resistive material in parallel. The unit is 12V and generates heat at a rate of 40W. The formula R=v²/r is used, with V being the voltage and r being the power. The voltage is the same across all strips but the power may vary. The power consumed is proportional to the total circuit resistance and is inversely proportional to the power.
goan
I need to work out the total resistance of a heating element made up of 3 strips of resistive material in paralell. We are told that the unit is 12V and theheat is generated at a rate of 40W, I need to calculate the total resistance of the element. I kno I have to use the formula R=v²/r where R is the resistance, V is the voltage and r is the power(watts). i know that the voltage will be the same across all the strips but will the power, could you help me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
The power consumed is porportional to the total circiut resistance.

Thiis is a pretty straight forward problem, don't over think it.

Start by drawing off the circuit, that'll help.

goan said:
I need to work out the total resistance of a heating element made up of 3 strips of resistive material in paralell. We are told that the unit is 12V and theheat is generated at a rate of 40W, I need to calculate the total resistance of the element. I kno I have to use the formula R=v²/r where R is the resistance, V is the voltage and r is the power(watts). i know that the voltage will be the same across all the strips but will the power, could you help me please?

R(total)=3.6(ohm):blushing:
what is the problem here?

The power consumed is porportional to the total circiut resistance.

Inversely propotional.

thanks for your help guys

1. What is a parallel circuit?

A parallel circuit is a type of electrical circuit where the components are connected in a way that allows the current to flow along multiple paths. This is in contrast to a series circuit, where the components are connected one after the other and the current only has one path to follow.

2. How does a parallel circuit differ from a series circuit?

A parallel circuit differs from a series circuit in that it has multiple paths for the current to follow, whereas a series circuit only has one. In a series circuit, the components are connected end-to-end, whereas in a parallel circuit, they are connected side-by-side.

3. What is the purpose of a parallel circuit?

The purpose of a parallel circuit is to allow multiple components to operate independently of each other. This can be useful in situations where you want one component to continue functioning even if another one fails, or if you want to control the current flow to each component separately.

4. How is current divided in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the current is divided among the different paths based on the resistance of each path. The path with the least resistance will have the most current flowing through it, while the path with the most resistance will have the least current flowing through it.

5. What are some real-world applications of parallel circuits?

Parallel circuits are commonly used in household wiring, as well as in electronic devices such as computers, televisions, and refrigerators. They are also used in power distribution systems, as they allow for more efficient and reliable distribution of electricity.