Calculating moment of inertia of a system of balls

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of moment of inertia for a system of balls connected in an equilateral triangle shape. The moment of inertia is calculated using the parallel axis theorem, taking into account the distance of each ball from the axis of rotation. The final equation for calculating the moment of inertia of the system is 3 times that of a single ball.
haki
(Resolved)Calculating moment of inertia of a system of balls

I have a bit hard time calculating moment of inertia of a a system of balls. The system is defined as follows: 3 balls that are the same are connected with thin rods soo that the center of each ball is in the corners of a equilateral triangle with length of side to be 0.3 m. Radius of each ball is 0,08 m and mass of each ball is 1,2 kg. Now the fun part: Calculate moment of inertia of the system if the axis of rotation goes trught the center of mass of the equilateral triangle. I of ball is 2/5*m*r^2.
I am puzzled. I know that the center of mass for a equilateral triangle is in 2/3 of its height. Soo each ball is exacly 1/3*Sqrt(3)*a -> 1/3*Sqrt(3)*0,3m away from the axis of rotation. I would simply say that the moment of inertia I = Sigma(m*r^2). I of each ball is I of b = m*(1/3*Sqrt(3)*a)^2 = 1.2 kg * 1/9 * 3 * 0.09 m^2. And then the moment of inertia of the system is simply I of system = 3 times I of ball. I am missing something. Since the radious is also given. I would apprichiate greately if somebody would explain the reasoning behind this problem and also if possible the path to solution.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Go through the parallel axis theorem of M.I.
The ball is not a point mass.

Ah...
The Moment of inertia of the ball is I = 2/5*mass*radius^2 + mass*distance from the axis of the system^2. And the moment of inertia of the system if 3 times of that of single ball?

looks good !

Ok, Thanks!

What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It depends on the mass and distribution of the object's mass around its axis of rotation.

How is moment of inertia calculated for a system of balls?

The moment of inertia for a system of balls can be calculated by summing the individual moments of inertia for each ball in the system. This can be done using the formula I = Σmr^2, where m is the mass of the ball and r is the distance from its axis of rotation.

Does the shape of the balls affect the moment of inertia calculation?

Yes, the shape and distribution of mass within the balls can affect the moment of inertia calculation. Objects with more mass concentrated at the outer edges have a higher moment of inertia than those with mass concentrated closer to the axis of rotation.

Can the moment of inertia of a system of balls be negative?

No, the moment of inertia of a system of balls is always a positive value. This is because the formula for moment of inertia involves squaring the distance, which will always result in a positive value.

Is there a special formula for calculating moment of inertia for a system of identical balls?

Yes, for a system of identical balls, the moment of inertia can be calculated using the formula I = mr^2 * N, where m is the mass of each ball, r is the distance from its axis of rotation, and N is the number of balls in the system.