Am I doing this right? (pressure, constant density, mount everest)

In summary, a student attempted to compute the standard barometric reading on top of Mt. Everest by assuming the density of air was constant, but found that the resulting pressure was higher than at sea level, indicating that the density of air must be less at higher altitudes. The discussion also explored the concept of pressure and the importance of considering the entire column of air above a location.
endeavor
"A student decides to compute the standard barometric reading on top of Mt. Everest (29,028ft) by assuming the density of air has the same constant density as the sea level. Try this yourself. What does the result tell you?"

Am I doing this right?
h = 8847.7344 m
density of air = 1.29kg/m3
pressure = density * g * h = 111.853 kPa

Since the by using constant density, we see that the pressure is higher on Mt. Everest. Of course, we know this to be false. Therefore, the density of air must be less on Mt. Everest than at sea level.

I'm not sure this is right, but please check.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is h here. Did you think about that. The column of air above us is important. Not the one below us. Pressure is exerted due to the exertion of force over an area. The Force is applied due to the weight of the air above us and thus the atmosphere experience a pressure due to the weight of the air above it.
So let the height of atmosphere from the surface of Earth be R. Thus the chane in height of air column is R - h, where h is the height of Mt. Everest.

is my equation correct? p = d * g * h?
if h is R - h, then
p = pat sea level - density * g * h

but density * g * h = 111.853 kPa, and then p would be negative!

I'm confused.

I didn't plug in the numbers, but if your pressure is negative, what does that tell you about either the assumption that density of air at that altitude is the same as sea level, or g, or both?

Why should you think it is negative. In fact now I am confused abt what you are confused?
R - h > 0 since R>h as R is the height of air column above Earth surface -sea level - while h is the height of Mt. Everest. dgR is 101.325KPas, while dgh is less than that.
P = dg(R - h) just as P(at sea leavel) = dgR = 101.325KP

sorry, this is my first time learning physics...

if P(at sea level) = 101325 Pa and P = dgR, and d = density of air = 1.29 kg/m3[/sub], then
R = 8015m?

ptotal = density * g * (R - h)
ptotal = (density * g * R) - (density * g * h)
density = 1.29kg/3, g = 9.8m/s2[/sub], h = 8847.7344 m
then (density * g * h) = 111853.0583 Pa, which is greater than 101325 Pa, and therefore ptotal < 0.

I got disconnected yesterday before your reply.

Density of air is not constant along the whole column of air at atmosphere. That is why the result is interesting. I have not looked it. Thus the density of air input should be proper enough. 1.29 is the density of air nearby Earth's surface.

1. What is the concept of "doing this right" in terms of pressure and constant density?

The concept of "doing this right" in terms of pressure and constant density refers to accurately measuring and maintaining a specific pressure and density in a given system or environment. This is important in various scientific experiments and processes, as changes in pressure and density can affect the results and outcomes.

2. How do pressure and constant density relate to each other?

Pressure and constant density are directly related to each other. This means that as pressure increases, density also increases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the ideal gas law, which states that the product of pressure and volume is proportional to the product of the number of moles of gas and the temperature.

3. Why is maintaining constant density important in scientific experiments?

Maintaining constant density is important in scientific experiments because it ensures that the conditions remain consistent throughout the experiment. This allows for more accurate and reliable results, as any changes in density can affect the behavior of substances and alter the outcomes of the experiment.

4. How do you measure pressure and density in a given system?

Pressure and density can be measured using various instruments and techniques, such as pressure gauges, manometers, and density meters. These instruments use different principles, such as Boyle's law and Archimedes' principle, to measure the properties of the system.

5. How does the pressure and density change at the top of Mount Everest?

At the top of Mount Everest, the pressure and density are significantly lower compared to sea level. This is because the air molecules are spread farther apart due to the decrease in atmospheric pressure at higher altitudes. This change in pressure and density can affect the body's ability to function and can cause altitude sickness in individuals who are not acclimatized to high altitudes.