Advice on career/college path

• Thread starter brent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Path
In summary, Brent is a Physics major and he is considering majoring in Architecture and Acoustics. He has trouble with Chemistry, but he is reassured by his professor. He also has a question about whether to retake Chemistry.
brent
Hello,
It's been a while since I've been here and I would like to know some opinions on my situation. Okay, I'm in college majoring in physics currently. About a month back I had the privilage to hear an orchestra perform their first concert (it was actually a dress rehersal) in a new concert hall. This was like the greatest thing I have every experienced in my life and I have looked into the possibility of going toward Architectural Accoustics for a new career path which involves Physics, Architecture, and Music. I have not really seen many online programs that offer this type of major. I was wondering, do you think I should major in accoustics, physics and music, or just physics?

I did also have another question that's bugged me so far in my college courses. I didn't do so well in Chemistry because I didn't like it that much. If I am to become a physicist, should I try to retake those so that I might get a better grasp of chemistry or do you think I will be fine? I know it depends on what I decide to actually do with a physics degree.

Sorry for the long post :blushing:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello there Brent! I too am a Physics major:smile: I would definitely suggest taking chemistry over again if you didn't get it down pat. I am also very interested in acoustics and architecture. The way I see it, you can still learn tons about acoustics by reading. I am interested in many different things in this world...I will study and learn about them all eventually. As far as what you should major in, that it your decision. What would you enjoy doing every day for the rest of your life lol?? The other things you like can be "side studies" what I like to call things or ideas I explore outside of school and work.

thanks matthew! I had a big heart-to-heart talk with one of my Physics professors about some of the trouble I've been having just with physics and chemistry and they reassured me that they think I would be fine. I may still retake Chemistry, but I will dwell over it some more. Thanks again!

1. What major should I choose for my desired career?

Choosing a major depends on your interests, skills, and career goals. Research various majors and their job prospects to determine which aligns best with your career path. Consider talking to a career counselor or taking career assessments for further guidance.

2. Is it better to attend a prestigious college or a more affordable one for my career prospects?

It is ultimately up to you and your financial situation. While attending a prestigious college may provide more networking opportunities and a prestigious degree, it is not always necessary for career success. Consider the program and resources offered at both types of schools to make the best decision for you.

3. How important are internships and extracurricular activities in college for my future career?

Internships and extracurricular activities can greatly enhance your resume and provide valuable experience and skills. They also demonstrate your dedication and passion for your chosen field. However, they are not the only determining factor for career success. Focus on building a well-rounded college experience that includes both academic and extracurricular pursuits.

4. Should I pursue a higher degree (e.g. masters, PhD) for my career?

It depends on your desired career and industry. Some fields may require a higher degree for certain positions, while others may place more emphasis on work experience. Research job postings and speak with professionals in your field to determine if a higher degree is necessary for your career goals.

5. How can I make the most out of my college experience to set myself up for success in my career?

Get involved in campus organizations and activities related to your interests and career goals. Network with professors and professionals in your field. Seek out internships and research opportunities. Take advantage of career services and attend job fairs and networking events. Most importantly, focus on developing your skills and knowledge in your chosen field through your coursework and extracurricular pursuits.