Project to detect open collector/ high impedance signals

In summary, using a 5V pull-up resistor, you can connect a TTL-level signal through your computer's parallel port to monitor alarm devices.
dforde
I am trying to come up with a way to monitor a device that alarms. The signal is open collector: high impedance when not alarm. I would also like to be able to connect this to a computer and monitor and log the alarms when they happen. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Use a pull-up resistor. You can connect a TTL-level signal through your computer's parallel port. (This is the easiest way, at least.)

- Warren

Thanks for the reply, do you know of an available circuit design for this, and the pin assignments for the port, also what kind of software could I use for the monitoring of the alarms, any and all help is greatly appreciated, the commercial solution to this is very $$$$$$.

dforde said:
Thanks for the reply, do you know of an available circuit design for this, and the pin assignments for the port, also what kind of software could I use for the monitoring of the alarms, any and all help is greatly appreciated, the commercial solution to this is very $$$$$$.
I understand the desire to save money, but aren't there regulations governing alarm systems? In my experience, there are certain things that need to be done in a certain way, in order for a commercial building's insurance underwriter to approve of an alarm system.

This project is not for a building or anything like that, so there are no regulations involved, I have a number of alarm devices that when they alarm, there is a 3.5mm mono jack, tip is signal output, ring is 0V. Signal is open collector type: high impedance when not alarm, low. I want to be able to monitor the devices on a single computer, so I can log when they go off. Any help for a solution to this is appreciated, I am also trying to keep cost to a minimum. The pull-up resistor idea might work if I can get details on the setup, and appropriate software to monitor it.

Schematics (and software) for interfacing TTL-level signals are all over the web -- try using google to search for them. Use a 5V pull-up resistor, and you should be fine.

- Warren

1. What is the purpose of a project to detect open collector/high impedance signals?

The purpose of this project is to identify and measure signals that are not actively driven by a voltage source, known as open collector or high impedance signals. These signals can be found in various electronic systems and can be difficult to detect without specialized equipment.

2. How does the project detect these signals?

The project uses a combination of hardware and software techniques to detect open collector/high impedance signals. This may include the use of pull-up resistors, signal amplifiers, and signal processing algorithms.

3. What types of signals can the project detect?

The project is designed to detect both digital and analog signals with open collector/high impedance characteristics. This includes a wide range of signals such as logic level signals, sensor outputs, and communication signals.

4. Can the project differentiate between different types of open collector/high impedance signals?

Yes, the project can be programmed to differentiate between different types of signals based on their voltage levels, frequency, and other characteristics. This allows for more accurate detection and analysis of the signals.

5. How can the project be useful for scientific research?

The project can be used in various scientific research applications, such as monitoring and analyzing signals in electronic systems, studying the behavior of open collector/high impedance signals, and developing new detection techniques. It can also be integrated into larger experimental setups for data acquisition and analysis.