Algebra Question: Finding Distance When a Train and Car Meet

• Thread starter mikefitz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the train and car both leave the station at different speeds. After two hours, the car catches up to the train and travels a total of 7 miles in doing so. The question asks for the distance the car travels, not the time it takes to catch the train.
mikefitz
Train leaves station going 50MPH
Car leaves station going 70MPH - 2 hours later

How far til car catches train?

This should be so simple, here is what I've done:

d=50t
d=70(t-2)

50t=70(t-2)
50t=70t-140
140=20t

I get t=7 miles for my final answer, but according to the book this is wrong. Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
try it this way: when the car starts the train is 100 miles away. the car makes up ground at 20 miles/hour (70-50)... how many hours does it take to catch the train... how many miles did the car go in that time.

How did you get miles from that? If
d=50mph*t hours
d=70mph*(t-2)hours

50mph*t hours=70mph*(t-2)hours
50mph*t hours=70mph*t hours-140 miles
140 miles=20mph*t hours
140miles/20mph = t hours
7 hours = t hours

I think the problem is that you've solved for t when the question asks you to solve for d, the distance.

Of course you can now just put t back into one of the equations.

1. What is algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols and the rules for manipulating those symbols to solve equations and understand relationships between quantities.

2. How is algebra used in everyday life?

Algebra is used in a variety of real-life situations, such as calculating budgets, understanding loan payments, and solving problems related to distance, time, and speed. It is also used in fields like physics, engineering, and computer science.

3. What are the basic concepts in algebra?

The basic concepts in algebra include variables, equations, expressions, and operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These concepts are used to solve problems and find unknown values.

4. What is the order of operations in algebra?

The order of operations in algebra is a set of rules that dictate the sequence in which mathematical operations should be performed. The acronym PEMDAS (Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, Addition and Subtraction) is often used to remember the correct order.

5. How can I improve my algebra skills?

One way to improve your algebra skills is to practice solving a variety of problems. You can also seek help from a tutor or use online resources such as videos and interactive tutorials. It is important to understand the basic concepts and regularly review them to strengthen your skills.