Relativity Question (Twin Paradox)

In summary: Event 1: The rocket leaves Earth. Event 2: The rocket reaches Canopus. Event 3: The S1 clock on the rocket passes by the Earth. Event 4: The R2 rocket leaves Canopus. Event 5: The S2 clock on the rocket passes by the Earth. (S1 is the station that reaches Earth at the same time that R1 reaches canopus in the R1 frame) Event 6: The R1 clock on the rocket reaches canopus.
b2386
Hi all,

Most of you are probably familiar with the twin paradox of relativity, which is the basis of this problem. I think I understand it fairly well but am having trouble with one specific detail. Here is the setup:

Problem
We have two planets, the Earth and canopus, that are separated by a distance of 99 light years in the Earth frame. A rocket (R1) traveling from the Earth to canopus travels at such a speed that it will arrive at canopus in 101 years. Upon arriving at canopus, the occupant in the rocket will instantaneously jump from the first rocket to a second rocket (R2) traveling the same speed but now pointed towards the earth.

For the earth, there is a string a clocks that infinitely stretch out towards canopus (the positive direction) and away from the direction of canopus (the negative direction). These clocks are synchronized to the clock on earth. A similar set of clocks are attached to the rockets and are synchronized to the clock on the rocket.

There are six events that occur in the problem.

Event 1: R1 leaves earth
Event 2: R1 reaches canopus
Event 3: Rocket station S1 passes earth
(S1 is the station that reaches Earth at the same time that R1 reaches canopus in the R1 frame)
Event 4: R2 leaves canopus
Event 5: Rocket station S2 passes earth
(S2 is the station that reaches Earth at the same time that R2 leaves canopus in the R2 frame)

There are six clocks

Clock 1: on earth
Clock 2: on canopus
Clock 3: on R1
Clock 4: on S1
Clock 5: on R2
Clock 6: on S2

I am told to find the times of all six clocks at each of the six events in the Earth frame.

Attempted Solution
Well, I found the times of all the clocks of, except clock 4 at event 1 and clock 6 at event 6. If I can find out how to obtain the time from clock 4, I can probably find the time for clock 6 as well.

I started by using the equation [tex]t^2_E - x^2_E = t^2_R - x^2_R[/tex] where "E" stands for Earth and "R" stands for Rocket. I am attempting to solve for [tex]t_E[/tex]. [tex]t_R[/tex] is equal to 0 since this is the reference event for the problem.

But before I could substitute numbers to this equation, I had to find the value of [tex]x_R[/tex] at event 2 and [tex]x_E[/tex] at event 3.

For [tex]x_R[/tex], I used the value found for [tex]t_R[/tex] at event 2.

[tex]t^2_R = t^2_E - x^2_E [/tex]

[tex]t^2_R = 101^2 - 99^2 [/tex]

[tex]t^2_R = 400[/tex]

[tex] t_R = 20[/tex]

Multiply this distance times the rocket speed (which is 99/101 = .98) to give us 19.6 years in distance between the rocket at canopus and the earth. It is also the distance between the S1 clock in event 3 as it passes

the earth. Back to our main equation, [tex]t^2_E - x^2_E = t^2_R - x^2_R[/tex], we now have the value of [tex]x_R[/tex] (19.6)

For [tex]x_E[/tex], I used the value found for [tex]t_E[/tex] at event 3.

[tex]t^2_E = t^2_R - x^2_R [/tex]

[tex]t^2_E = 20^2 - 19.6^2 [/tex]

[tex]t^2_E = 15.84[/tex]

[tex] t_R = 3.98[/tex]

Finally substituting all of our values into [tex]t^2_E - x^2_E = t^2_R - x^2_R[/tex], I have [tex]t^2_E - 3.98^2 = 0 - 19.6^2[/tex]. However, I end up getting the squareroot of a negative number. Can someone please show me where things went wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did I not include enough info? :confused:

Please help! I have to turn this in tomorrow. :cry:

For a moment, forget about what I posted above and let's see if I can make this simpler.

A rocket is traveling from Earth to Canopus, which is 99 light years away. The rocket reaches canopus in 101 years (so v = 99/101 = .98). There is a clock attached to a rope that is 3.88 light years long (in the Earth frame) and this rope is attaced the the back of the rocket (basically, there is a clock travling the same velocity as the rocket but is 3.88 light years behind the rocket). When the rocket reaches Canopus, what does this clock read in the Earth frame?

1. What is the twin paradox in relativity?

The twin paradox is a thought experiment in relativity that explores the concept of time dilation. It involves two identical twins, one of whom stays on Earth while the other travels at high speeds in a spacecraft. When the traveling twin returns, they will have aged less than their twin who stayed on Earth, leading to a paradox.

2. How does time dilation explain the twin paradox?

Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by Einstein's theory of relativity. It states that time moves slower for objects in motion than for objects at rest. In the twin paradox, the traveling twin experiences time moving slower due to their high speed, resulting in them aging less than their stationary twin.

3. Can the twin paradox be observed in real life?

Yes, time dilation has been observed in real life through experiments with atomic clocks. For example, a clock on a GPS satellite moving at high speeds will run slightly slower than a clock on Earth, resulting in a time difference. However, the effects are only noticeable at extremely high speeds, such as those reached by spacecraft.

4. What other effects of relativity are involved in the twin paradox?

In addition to time dilation, the twin paradox also involves the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that both twins could claim to be stationary and the other twin to be moving, and both would be correct in their frames of reference.

5. Can the twin paradox be resolved?

While the twin paradox may seem like a paradox, it can be resolved by understanding the effects of relativity. In the scenario, the traveling twin experiences acceleration and deceleration, which breaks the symmetry between the twins and explains why they age differently. Additionally, the traveling twin also experiences a different path through spacetime, leading to the observed difference in aging.