Conjugate of either sin or cos

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the conjugate of either sine or cosine in a given problem and suggests converting them into their exponential form first. It also mentions the concept of complex conjugates and how a real quantity is its own conjugate.
kolycholy
okay, so this particular equation involves me writing conjugate of either sin or cos, but hows that possible considering they both are real in the given problem?

maybe i should convert sin and cos into their exponential form first?

but then wt would be the conjugate of this expression-----> e^2j +e^(-2j)?

Engineering news on Phys.org
kolycholy said:
okay, so this particular equation involves me writing conjugate of either sin or cos, but hows that possible considering they both are real in the given problem?

maybe i should convert sin and cos into their exponential form first?

but then wt would be the conjugate of this expression-----> e^2j +e^(-2j)?

If you have to take the complex conjugate of a real quantity, say [itex]z[/itex], then [itex]z[/itex] is its own complex conjugate, i.e. [itex]z=z^{\ast}[/itex]. This follows from the fact that the real part of a complex number and the real part of its conjugate are always the same by definition:

[tex]
z = x + iy
[/tex]
[tex]
z^{\ast} = x - iy
[/tex]

where [itex]x\,,y[/itex] are real.

The conjugate of a complex number is formed by changing the sign of the imaginary part. In the case of trigonometric functions, the imaginary part is zero, so the conjugate of either sin or cos would be the same function. In other words, the conjugate of sin or cos is just itself.

As for converting them into exponential form, that is not necessary in this case. The conjugate of e^2j + e^(-2j) would simply be e^2j - e^(-2j), as the imaginary parts have opposite signs. However, since sin and cos do not have imaginary parts, their conjugates remain unchanged.

What is the conjugate of sin?

The conjugate of sin is the negative of the original function, meaning it has the same magnitude but is opposite in sign.

What is the conjugate of cos?

The conjugate of cos is the same as the original function, as it already has a negative in its formula.

Why is the conjugate of sin or cos important?

The conjugate of sin or cos is important in complex analysis and in solving certain types of integrals and differential equations.

How do you find the conjugate of sin or cos?

To find the conjugate of sin or cos, you simply change the sign of the function. For example, the conjugate of sin(x) would be -sin(x).

What is the geometric interpretation of the conjugate of sin or cos?

The geometric interpretation of the conjugate of sin or cos is that it represents the reflection of the original function across the x-axis or the origin, depending on the function.