CIRCUITS: Three resistors, two Indep. Voltage sources, one Indep. Current source

In summary, the equivalent load for the two voltage sources is 16\Omega and not 8\Omega. So, I1 = 1A and I2 = -3/4A. I can find I_1 in the third circuit by replacing the 2\Omega resistor with a 1\Omega resistor and solving for I_3.
VinnyCee
Find I in the circuit using the superposition principle:

PracticeProb4-5Part1.jpg

My work so far:

[tex]I\,=\,I_1\,+\,I_2\,+\,I_3[/tex]

PracticeProb4-5Part2.jpg

This reduces down to:
PracticeProb4-5Part3.jpg

[tex]16\,V\,=\,I_1\,(8\Omega)[/tex]
[tex]I_1\,=\,\frac{16\,V}{8\Omega}\,=\,2\,A[/tex]

PracticeProb4-5Part4.jpg

This reduces down to:
PracticeProb4-5Part5.jpg

[tex]I_2\,=\,-\frac{12\,V}{8\Omega}\,=\,-\frac{3}{2}[/tex]

But how do I solve this circuit?:

PracticeProb4-5Part6.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all. The equivalent load for the two voltage sources is [tex]16\Omega[/tex] and not [tex]8\Omega[/tex]. So, I1 = 1A and I2 = -3/4A.
For the third circuit, forget the ground. The [tex]6\Omega[/tex] and [tex]8\Omega[/tex] resistors are in series and their series equivalent is in parallel with the [tex]2\Omega[/tex] resistor.

The cuurent that I am looking for (I1) is in between the two resistors that are 8-ohms. I know they are in series and combined they are 16-ohm but don't I have to leave them like that to get the right answer since the current is between them?

VinnyCee said:
The cuurent that I am looking for (I1) is in between the two resistors that are 8-ohms. I know they are in series and combined they are 16-ohm but don't I have to leave them like that to get the right answer since the current is between them?
That current goes through both resistors. It is OK to keep them separate, but then you have two voltage drops of 8I1 and 8I1. The net effect is the same as one 16 ohm resistor. You do not have to keep them separate; you can always replace a series combination of resistors by one equivalent resistor.

OIC - The same current goes through both resistors BECAUSE they are in series!

So that means that:

[tex]I_1\,=\,1\,A[/tex]

[tex]I_2\,=\,-\frac{3}{4}\,A[/tex]

But how do I find [itex]I_3[/itex] in the last circuit?

PracticeProb4-5Part6.jpg

Last edited:
SGT said:
For the third circuit, forget the ground. The [tex]6\Omega[/tex] and [tex]8\Omega[/tex] resistors are in series and their series equivalent is in parallel with the [tex]2\Omega[/tex] resistor.

So the circuit would look like this?:

PracticeProb4-5Part7tryagain.jpg

[tex]4\,A\,=\,I_3\,+\,I_3'[/tex]

[tex]14\,\left(4\,A\,=\,\frac{v_1}{2\Omega}\,+\,\frac{v_1}{14\Omega}\right)[/tex]

[tex]v_1\,=\,7\,V[/tex]

[tex]I_3\,=\,\frac{v_1}{14\Omega}\,=\,\frac{(7\,V)}{14\Omega}\,=\,\frac{1}{2}\,A[/tex]

[tex]I\,=\,I_1\,+\,I_2\,+\,I_3[/tex]

[tex]I\,=\,\left(1\,A\right)\,+\,\left(-\,\frac{3}{4}\,A\right)\,+\,\left(\frac{1}{2}\,A\right)\,=\,\frac{3}{4}\,A[/tex]

That is right, thanks everyone!

Last edited:

1. What is a circuit?

A circuit is a closed loop or path through which electric current can flow. It is made up of various components, such as resistors, voltage sources, and current sources, that work together to control and direct the flow of electricity.

2. What are resistors?

Resistors are components in a circuit that resist the flow of electric current. They are used to control the amount of current in a circuit and are typically made of materials that have a high resistance to electrical flow, such as carbon or metal alloys.

3. How do voltage sources affect a circuit?

Voltage sources are components in a circuit that provide a difference in electrical potential between two points, causing electric current to flow. In a circuit with multiple voltage sources, the total voltage is equal to the sum of the individual voltages.

4. What is the role of a current source in a circuit?

A current source is a component in a circuit that maintains a constant flow of electric current, regardless of changes in the rest of the circuit. It is used to ensure a stable and predictable current in a circuit.

5. How do I calculate the total resistance in a circuit with three resistors?

To calculate the total resistance in a circuit with three resistors, you can use the formula R = R1 + R2 + R3. This means that you simply add up the resistance values of all three resistors to find the total resistance.