Solve Step up Transformer: Ratio, Power, Fuse Rating

• Thread starter nateastle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transformer
In summary, the question is asking for the ratio of secondary to primary turns of a transformer connected to a 120 V rms ac line and supplying 16800 V(rms) for a neon sign. To avoid shock hazard, a fuse is to be inserted in the primary circuit and blow when the current in the secondary circuit exceeds 10.0mA. For part a, the ratio is determined to be 1:140. For part b, the power needed to be supplied to the transformer when the secondary current is 10.0 mA is about 168 watts. For part c, the current rating for the fuse in the primary circuit should be 140 times greater than the secondary current.
nateastle
I have a homework question that states: A transformer connected to a 120 V rms ac line is to supply 16800 V(rms) for a neon sign. To resuce shock hazard, a fuse is to be inserted in the primary circuit; the fuse is to blow when the current in the secondary circuit exceeds 10.0mA. a) What is the ratio of secondary to primary turns of the transformer? b) what power must be supplied to the transformer when the secondary current is 10.0 mA? c) What current rating should the fuse in the primary circuit have?

for problem a I figured it to be n1/n2 = v1/v2 or a 1 - 140 ratio.
I am confused on how to figure out problem b and problem c. I do not know what formula to use for those problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
(Charge/time)(energy/charge)=energy/time=power

How do I figure out energy/time? would this be (16800 x 10 x 10^-3) or about 168 watts where 16800 is the total voltage of the transformer and 10 x 10^-3 is the current?

with part c would this be 140 times greater than the current in the second transformer?

Last edited:
nateastle said:
How do I figure out energy/time? would this be (16800 x 10 x 10^-2) or about 168 watts where 16800 is the total voltage of the transformer and 10 x 10^-2 is the current?

with part c would this be 140 times greater than the current in the second transformer?
For an ideal transformer, the power input is the same as the power output. So yes, the primary current would have to be 140 times the secondary current.

Check your exponent on the current.

A real transformer would not be so efficient, but unless you were told otherwise you can assume it is ideal.

1. What is the purpose of a step up transformer?

A step up transformer is used to increase the voltage of an alternating current (AC) electrical circuit. This is necessary for long-distance power transmission, as higher voltages can be transmitted more efficiently and with less energy loss.

2. How is the ratio of a step up transformer calculated?

The ratio of a step up transformer is calculated by dividing the number of secondary windings by the number of primary windings. For example, if a transformer has 100 secondary windings and 10 primary windings, the ratio would be 100/10 or 10:1.

3. How does a step up transformer affect power?

A step up transformer does not change the amount of power in a circuit, but it does increase the voltage and decrease the current. This means that although the power remains the same, the voltage is higher and the current is lower, resulting in a more efficient transmission of power.

4. How do I choose the correct fuse rating for a step up transformer?

The correct fuse rating for a step up transformer is determined by the maximum current that the transformer can safely handle. This information can be found in the transformer's specifications or by consulting a professional electrician.

5. Can a step up transformer be used in reverse as a step down transformer?

Yes, a step up transformer can be used in reverse to step down the voltage of an electrical circuit. However, it is important to note that the transformer may not be designed to handle the higher current that results from stepping down the voltage, so it is important to consult the transformer's specifications before attempting to use it in this manner.