M.g.f. help. Mean, Variance, and standard deviation.

In summary, the conversation is discussing the problem of finding the p.m.f., mean, variance, and standard deviation of a random variable X that represents the number of flips of a fair coin needed to observe the same face on consecutive flips. The conversation also touches on finding the probabilities of certain events related to X. The solution involves using the m.g.f. and evaluating infinite sums, and also considering the minimum number of flips needed to get the same face on two consecutive flips.
gimpy
I am having trouble with this question.

Let X equal the number of flips of a fair coin that are required to observe the same face on consecutive flips.
(a) Find the p.m.f. of X.
if found the p.m.f. to be [tex]f(x) = (\frac{1}{2})^{x-1}[/tex] for [tex]x=2,3,4,...[/tex]

(b) Give the values of the mean, variance and standard deviation of X.
For this one i found the m.g.f. to be [tex]M(t) = E(e^{tx}) = \sum_{x \in S} e^{tx}f(x)[/tex]
[tex]M^{'}(0) = xf(x) = E(X)[/tex] which is the mean.
Then
[tex]M^{''}(0) = x^{2}f(x) = E(X)[/tex]
[tex]Var(X) = M^{''}(0) - [M^{'}(0)]^2[/tex]

Is this correct?

Than after that i realized that 2 rolls of the dice was the minimum to get the same face on two consecutive flips. So i made [tex]S={1,2}[/tex] and evaluted them like this getting the Mean = 2 and Variance = 4 which is not correct.
What am i doing wrong? Do i have to use Infinite series or something?

I haven't even started on the standard deviation.

(c) Find the values of
[tex](i) P(X \leq 3)[/tex]
[tex](ii) P(X \geq 5)[/tex]
[tex](iii) P(X = 3)[/tex]

I can't start on these until i get part (b)

Physics news on Phys.org
S must be the set {2,3,4...}. yes you need to evalaute the infinite sums, but they aren't hard to do. the sum of nr^n and n(n-1)r^n are quite well known and you should be able to find them.

you can do c without doing b; it doens't involve moments at all.

probability it happens on the first throw is 0, probability on the second is 1/2, and on the third is 1/4 so the first probability is 3/4

x greater than 5 is 1- prob of on the 2nd 3rd or 4th, which is 1-1/2-1/4-1/8

on the fifth exactly
well one of HTHTT or THTHH must happen and the probability is...?

figured out

First of all, great job on finding the p.m.f. for X. Your answer is correct.

For part (b), you are on the right track. The mean and variance can be found using the m.g.f. that you have calculated. However, there seems to be a mistake in your calculation of the variance. The correct formula for variance using the m.g.f. is Var(X) = M''(0) - [M'(0)]^2. So, in your case, Var(X) = M''(0) - [M'(0)]^2 = 2f(2) - [f(1)]^2 = 2(\frac{1}{2}) - (\frac{1}{2})^2 = \frac{3}{4}. Therefore, the variance is not 4 but \frac{3}{4}.

For the standard deviation, you just need to take the square root of the variance, so it would be \sqrt{\frac{3}{4}} = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}.

For part (c), you can use the p.m.f. that you have found to calculate the probabilities.
(i) P(X \leq 3) = f(2) + f(3) = \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{4} = \frac{3}{4}
(ii) P(X \geq 5) = 1 - P(X \leq 4) = 1 - (f(2) + f(3) + f(4)) = 1 - (\frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{4} + \frac{1}{8}) = \frac{1}{8}
(iii) P(X = 3) = f(3) = \frac{1}{4}

I hope this helps you understand the problem better. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask for clarification. Good luck!

1. What is MGF and how is it used in statistics?

MGF stands for Moment Generating Function. It is a mathematical function that is used to find moments, such as mean, variance, and standard deviation, of a probability distribution. It is especially useful for finding these moments for complex distributions or for finding moments of a linear combination of random variables.

2. What is the relationship between MGF and moments?

The MGF of a random variable uniquely determines its moments. This means that if we know the MGF of a distribution, we can easily find its mean, variance, and other moments. The MGF is also useful for finding the moments of a linear combination of random variables.

3. How do you calculate the MGF of a distribution?

The MGF can be calculated using the formula M(t) = E(e^(tx)), where E is the expected value operator and x is the random variable. This formula works for both discrete and continuous distributions. However, for some distributions, the MGF may not exist or may be difficult to calculate.

4. Can the MGF be used for any type of distribution?

The MGF can be used for any distribution, as long as it exists. However, for some distributions, it may be easier to use other methods to find the moments, such as using the moment generating function or the characteristic function.

5. How can MGF be used to find the mean, variance, and standard deviation of a distribution?

The MGF can be used to find the mean, variance, and standard deviation of a distribution by taking derivatives of the MGF and evaluating them at t=0. The first derivative at t=0 gives the mean, the second derivative gives the variance, and the square root of the second derivative gives the standard deviation.