Uniform Distributed Electric Charge

In summary, a ring-shaped conductor with radius a = 2.20 cm has a total positive charge Q = 0.123 nC uniformly distributed around it.
stylez03

Homework Statement

A ring-shaped conductor with radius a = 2.20 cm has a total positive charge Q = 0.123 nC uniformly distributed around it.

(Question relevant to main problem)
(a)What is the magnitude of the electric field at point P, which is on the positive x-axis at x = 35.0 cm?

[**Actual Question**]
A particle with a charge of - 2.70 mC is placed at the point P described in part (a). What is the magnitude of the force exerted by the particle on the ring?

Homework Equations

F = 1/4*pi*e_o * |q| / r^2 for single point charge

e_o = 8.85 * 10^-12

The Attempt at a Solution

1/(4*pi*8.85 * 10^-12) * ( 0.123*10^-9 * 2.70*10^-9 / .35^2 )

The online system says I'm off by an additive constant,

I also tried

1/(4*pi*8.85 * 10^-12) * ( 0.123*10^-9 * 2.70*10^-9 / .35^2 + 0.0220^2)

Since that equation was also in the book, but still no luck.

Physics news on Phys.org
The electric fields at a point due a to a charge distribution is given by:

[tex] \mathbf{E} = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \int \frac{\sigma}{r^2} \mathbf{\hat{r}} dl[/tex]

[itex]\sigma[/itex] is the charge density of the ring of charge.

Kurdt said:
The electric fields at a point due a to a charge distribution is given by:

[tex] \mathbf{E} = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \int \frac{\sigma}{r^2} \mathbf{\hat{r}} dl[/tex]

[itex]\sigma[/itex] is the charge density of the ring of charge.

Given your equation:

e_o = 8.85 * 10^-12

rho = 0.0220m

r = .35m

I'm not sure what r_hat is in this situation?

The r-hat is the unit vector pointing in the direction of the field. You will have to perform the integral which will be different depending on what coordinate system you use.

Do you have a diagram? The geometry is important aswell. I assume the axis of rotation of the circle is the x-axis.

Kurdt said:
The r-hat is the unit vector pointing in the direction of the field. You will have to perform the integral which will be different depending on what coordinate system you use.

Do you have a diagram? The geometry is important aswell. I assume the axis of rotation of the circle is the x-axis.

Here is the diagram:

http://www.uploadyourimages.com/view/505148yf.figure.21.21.jpg
http://www.uploadyourimages.com/view/505148yf.figure.21.21.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh hang on problem diagnosed. You've put 2.7 nC in the equation instead of 2.7mC (2.7x10-3). I jumped the gun and started answering the first part.

Wait, so what am I suppose to do?

Your original method should work you just mistook the units of one of the charges. When I said I jumped the gun I wasn't kidding I had you on the path of deriving the equation you already had. I just didn't recognise it at first because you'd put all the numbers in instead of symbols.

yea haha, okay thanks. I see what you mean.

I must be cursed with you. I keep sending you down the wrong path :eek: many apologies.

it's okay. Thankfully homework isn't worth much in my overall grade, least this will help me prepare for the exam which is worth a lot more.

1. What is the definition of Uniform Distributed Electric Charge?

Uniform distributed electric charge refers to a type of electric charge distribution in which the charge is evenly spread over a surface or volume, resulting in a constant charge density throughout the region.

2. How is Uniform Distributed Electric Charge different from Point Charge?

Uniform distributed electric charge is different from point charge in that point charge refers to a single, concentrated charge at a specific point in space, while uniform distributed electric charge is spread out over a region.

3. What are some examples of systems with Uniform Distributed Electric Charge?

Some examples of systems with uniform distributed electric charge include parallel plate capacitors, spherical conducting shells, and cylindrical capacitors.

4. What is the mathematical expression for Uniform Distributed Electric Charge?

The mathematical expression for uniform distributed electric charge is given by the charge density, represented by the Greek letter rho (ρ), which is equal to the total charge divided by the volume or area over which the charge is distributed.

5. How is Uniform Distributed Electric Charge used in practical applications?

Uniform distributed electric charge is used in various practical applications, such as in the design of electronic circuits, electric motors, and generators. It is also used in the study of electrostatics and in the development of new technologies such as wireless charging systems.