Black Holes in a Newtonian (non-Einsteinian) World

In summary, in a Newtonian universe, objects can theoretically travel faster than light so there is no event horizon around a black hole. However, massive objects can still collapse due to gravity, resulting in a naked singularity. This is where Newtonian mechanics breaks down and we need General Relativity to explain it. The event horizon, which is defined as the radius at which the escape velocity exceeds the speed of light, is a crucial concept in understanding black holes in the context of General Relativity.
Izzhov
I'm just wondering... how would this work out? What would happen, for example, if an object goes past the event horizon of a black hole in a Newtonian universe? Or is this where Newtonian mechanics breaks down and we need General Relativity to explain it?

(P.S. I am a high school student with average knowledge of Newtonian Mechanics and minimal knowledge of the Theory of Relativity, so I might find some/a lot of the explanation to be confusing. I do, however, understand most math calculus and below.)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi, (correct me if I am wrong, people)
The event horison is defined by the radius at which the escape velocity exceeds the speed of light, which is the greatest possible speed according to relativity. So, nothing, not even light, can escape and nothing inside can affect the outside

In a Newtonian universe things can theoretically travel faster than light so there is no event horison.

However, in a Newtonian world objects could still be massive enough that gravity would overwealm all other forces (eg the forces that keep neutrons apart etc) and it would collapse to an infinitely small speck. I think this would be called a naked singularity because there is no event horison to isolate us from this total failure of physics.

Last edited:
You may wish to look for information on John Michell or Laplace's dark star.

1. What is a black hole in a Newtonian (non-Einsteinian) world?

A black hole in a Newtonian world is a theoretical object that is created when a massive star collapses under its own gravity. In this theory, the black hole has an infinite density and a singularity at its center.

2. How is a black hole different in a Newtonian world compared to an Einsteinian world?

In a Newtonian world, black holes are described by classical mechanics and do not take into account the effects of relativity. This means that the concept of an event horizon, the point of no return for light and matter, does not exist in Newtonian physics.

3. Can black holes in a Newtonian world still emit radiation?

Yes, in a Newtonian world, black holes can still emit radiation through processes such as Hawking radiation. However, the radiation emitted would not be affected by the curvature of space-time as it is in an Einsteinian world.

4. Is it possible to escape a black hole in a Newtonian world?

No, it is not possible to escape a black hole in a Newtonian world. This is because the escape velocity, the speed needed to escape the gravitational pull of an object, is greater than the speed of light at the event horizon.

5. How does the presence of a black hole affect the surrounding space in a Newtonian world?

In a Newtonian world, the presence of a black hole would create a strong gravitational field that would affect the motion of nearby objects. This could result in the formation of accretion disks and the acceleration of matter towards the black hole.