Need some help with the hall effect.

• Thread starter aesopsowner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hall effect
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of finding the Hall voltage across a ribbon, with some confusion about the factors involved. The Hall voltage is determined by the Hall effect, which creates a potential difference across a conductor when an electric current passes through it in the presence of a magnetic field. The Hall coefficient, represented by R-sub-h OHM*meter/tesla, is used to calculate the Hall voltage. To find the Hall voltage, one needs to multiply the Hall coefficient by the current, the width of the ribbon, and the magnetic field strength. The speaker is looking for general guidelines or tools to help solve the problem.
aesopsowner
Hey there.
Trying to figure out how to find a hall voltage across a ribbon. I'm given J, B, and some other factor: R-sub-h OHM*meter/tesla. (no clue what this is... :redface: )I'm also told to assume the charge carriers are e-'s. I understand that the hall effect is used to determine which charges are actually moving, but i can't really understand how the hall voltage is determined outside of V(hall) = q*width of ribbon*B.

I'm really not looking for an answer, but some general guidelines or tools that will help me solve the problem. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there! The Hall voltage is determined by the Hall effect, which states that when an electric current passes through a conductor in the presence of a magnetic field, a potential difference is created across the conductor. In other words, the Hall voltage is the ratio between the electric current and the magnetic field. As for the R-sub-h OHM*meter/tesla, this is the Hall coefficient, which is used to calculate the Hall voltage. To find the Hall voltage, you need to multiply the Hall coefficient by the current, the width of the ribbon, and the magnetic field strength. Hope this helps!

Sure, I can provide some guidance on how to approach this problem. The Hall effect is a phenomenon in which a magnetic field applied perpendicular to a current-carrying conductor will cause a voltage to develop across the conductor. This voltage is known as the Hall voltage and can be used to determine the type and density of charge carriers in the material.

To find the Hall voltage across a ribbon, you will need to use the equation you mentioned: V(hall) = q*width of ribbon*B. In this equation, q represents the charge of the carriers, which in this case are electrons (e-). The width of the ribbon is the distance between the two sides of the ribbon, and B is the strength of the magnetic field.

To find the value of q, you will need to use the other factor given to you, R-sub-h OHM*meter/tesla. This factor is known as the Hall coefficient and is a material property that relates the Hall voltage to the magnetic field and the current density (J). The equation for the Hall coefficient is R-sub-h = 1/nq, where n is the carrier density. So, to find q, you can rearrange this equation to q = 1/(n*R-sub-h).

Once you have found the value of q, you can plug it into the Hall voltage equation along with the other given values to find the Hall voltage. Keep in mind that the Hall voltage will be a negative value if the charge carriers are electrons, as they will experience a force in the opposite direction of the current due to the Lorentz force.

I hope this helps guide you in solving the problem. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck!

1. What is the Hall Effect?

The Hall Effect is a physical phenomenon that occurs when a magnetic field is applied perpendicular to the flow of an electric current in a conductive material. It causes a measurable voltage difference across the material, known as the Hall voltage.

2. How is the Hall Effect used in scientific research?

The Hall Effect is used in various scientific research fields, such as material science, semiconductor physics, and solid state physics. It is commonly used to measure the properties of materials, such as their conductivity and mobility, and to study the behavior of charged particles in electromagnetic fields.

3. What are some practical applications of the Hall Effect?

The Hall Effect has several practical applications, including magnetic field sensing in electronic devices, such as compasses and position sensors. It is also used in Hall effect sensors to measure current, speed, and position in various industrial and automotive systems. In addition, the Hall Effect is used in magnetic imaging techniques, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

4. How do you perform a Hall Effect measurement?

To perform a Hall Effect measurement, a sample of the material is placed in a magnetic field and current is passed through it. Then, the Hall voltage is measured using a voltmeter placed across the material. The measurements can then be used to calculate the relevant properties of the material, such as its conductivity and mobility.

5. What are some factors that can affect the Hall Effect measurement?

The Hall Effect measurement can be affected by various factors, such as the strength and direction of the magnetic field, temperature, and material impurities. It is important to control these factors and ensure accurate measurements for reliable results. Additionally, the geometry and dimensions of the sample can also impact the Hall voltage measurement.