Why is everyones former life good

• Thread starter petermorrisjr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, every person who has said to me they had a former life it is always something grand,a prince or a chief .Nobody was ever the local pedofile or vegetable or village idiot.
petermorrisjr
Every person who has said to me they had a former life it is always something grand,a prince or a chief .Nobody was ever the local pedofile or vegetable or village idiot.

Physics news on Phys.org
A rhetorical question I presume. Sort of answers itself for any rational person.

Actually, I have a similar take on the issue in a different forum: Why do films depict the last few centuries as wonderfully romantic? "Wouldn't it be nice to live in the Victorian era? All those beautiful clothes, opera outings and carriage rides?"

Yeah, well for every Tara, there's ten sweatshops...

Last edited:
bunch of pessimists

...still waiting for my rider to throw his coat over this puddle :tongue2:

DaveC426913 said:
A rhetorical question I presume. Sort of answers itself for any rational person.

Actually, I have a similar take on the issue in a different forum: Why do films depict the last few centuries as wonderfully romantic? "Wouldn't it be nice to live in the Victorian era? All those beautiful clothes, opera outings and carriage rides?"

Yeah, well for every Tara, there's ten sweatshops...

Thats true isn't it if you can't have a life just make one up.Some people I am friends with here in Sydney Australia say they were native Americans in the last life,one was a chief.

NOt everybody, in one of my former lives I carried a musket for Wellington, died in the mud marching to Waterloo.

In another I carried a Bow at Agincourt.

Well any way I had ancestors in the places where they may have done something like that! :rofl:

Integral said:
NOt everybody, in one of my former lives I carried a musket for Wellington, died in the mud marching to Waterloo.

In another I carried a Bow at Agincourt.

Well any way I had ancestors in the places where they may have done something like that! :rofl:

My Aunt spent a lot of time researching the family tree because all her Kennitcut friends had Irish or Scottish ancestors and she wanted to boast about her family. We were proud to inform her that she was 100% East End Docker, although a number of the family traveled to Australia... under duress... :-)

petermorrisjr said:
Every person who has said to me they had a former life it is always something grand,a prince or a chief .Nobody was ever the local pedofile or vegetable or village idiot.

Heh, I've noticed that too. And not only with the "past lives" deal, but also other strange things like astrology. The stars always seem to have a bright future in store for you; the alignment of Mercury never suggests that you'll fail out of college and spend the rest of your life as a bum. Perhaps it's just that when you detach supernatural beliefs from some sort of religious orthodoxy (which provide a measure of reason), people can make up whatever stuff they want. And no one likes a pessimist, so who wouldn't say that they were filthy rich in their last life?

On the other hand, maybe I'm overanalyzing it. :confused:

petermorrisjr said:

:rofl: :rofl:

Absolutely right. But still, it's self understood, since most people who could believe in such trash are actually village idiots, so it's normal that they 'want' to be princes, chiefs, or whatever in their former lives. :tongue:

In my 20th pre-incarnation, I was an evil, intriguing maid.
I envied the landed classes for their wealth, and seduced the laird's son, who got me pregnant, just as I had hoped. Unfortunately, I was also very stupid, and he didn't want to marry me after all. I died in child birth.

Last edited:
In my former life, I was an unidentifiable boson. How sad is that?

Zz.

petermorrisjr said:
ummm...

Because they're making it up?

petermorrisjr said:

Basically the whole process of regressing to past lives requires hypnotism, whilst in the state you are very suggestible and detached from reality, given the question: who were you in a previous life or, leading questions to that effect what would you imagine? Leonidas King of the Spartans at the battle of Thermopylae;A courtesan to Louis the XIV; or Joe miller, village paedophile, hung for the crimes of rape and child murder in 1872? Or Edwina Scayse, local midwife, hung for the crime of witchcraft and sedition in 1662. No contest really is it?

Who's going to pay money to find out that they used to be Hitler?

SticksandStones said:
Who's going to pay money to find out that they used to be Hitler?

You're kidding right, if someone signed a document saying I was Hitler in a former life it would explain everything about my life up to now, kharma :wink: :rofl:

radou said:
most people who could believe in such trash are actually village idiots, so it's normal that they 'want' to be princes, chiefs, or whatever in their former lives.

Ah-ha! Unfalsifiable scientific proof of karma! Kings will be idiots and idiots will be kings. ...we just need to tweak the numbers a bit because, well, there have been so many more idiots than kings...

Old Joke: I don't believe in reincarnation and I didn't believe it in my previous lives either.

ZapperZ said:
In my former life, I was an unidentifiable boson. How sad is that?

Zz.

Ew! Integer spin boy!:yuck:

On a rather sad note, one of the Evo child's best friends was told by a "medium" that he has always died in a previous life before the age of 21 in the military.

His parents have millions and he has been a burden to them and they sent him off to a military boarding school at the age of 14. I gave him a long distance credit card so he could call us from there.

Because of this "psychic" he feels dying in the military before age 21 is his destiny, so he has joined the marines and will be in Iraq in a couple of weeks. He told me he named his rifle after me.

I am devastated.

petermorrisjr said:

Not that I believe in this stuff, but if you were a vegetable in a past life, you probably wouldn't remember much, and it you were a pedofile or the village idiot, you would probably lie about it.

Evo said:
On a rather sad note, one of the Evo child's best friends was told by a "medium" that he has always died in a previous life before the age of 21 in the military.

His parents have millions and he has been a burden to them and they sent him off to a military boarding school at the age of 14. I gave him a long distance credit card so he could call us from there.

Because of this "psychic" he feels dying in the military before age 21 is his destiny, so he has joined the marines and will be in Iraq in a couple of weeks. He told me he named his rifle after me.

I am devastated.

One would think that even someone who believes them self to be a genuine psychic would refrain telling something like this to a young person.

radou said:
:rofl: :rofl:

Absolutely right. But still, it's self understood, since most people who could believe in such trash are actually village idiots, so it's normal that they 'want' to be princes, chiefs, or whatever in their former lives. :tongue:
This is so brilliant, I think it's worth rewriting history so that this thread simply goes thus:

Q: Every person who has said to me they had a former life it is always something grand,a prince or a chief .Nobody was ever the local pedofile or vegetable or village idiot.

A: Because, based on their gullibility, it is obvious that they are the village idiot in this life.

-Thread closed-

I seem to have had 2 former lives, first as a slime dwelling slug, then a stegosaurus. ...And now history seems to be repeating itself.

Evo said:

I am devastated.

Grrr makes me so mad. What is it about religious people and woo-woo folk that make them so determined to thrust the idea of destiny on everybody. It's so destructive, I know from personal experience.

Maybe you can talk him out of it?

Yeah I have to say I HATE 'mediums' with a passion because they destroy lives and end up causing more pain than being of any good. They are the worst kind of frauds and for some reason they are never held responsible for the consequences of their actions. But I should get back on topic.

I am curious...do you actually know anyone who says "In my former life I was..." and is actually serious about it? Whenever I hear people say it, it is always said as a joke. For example, if you're afraid of cockroaches or something you might say "In my former life I was Alexander the Great and cockroaches feared me".

1. Why do people often view their former lives as good?

People often view their former lives as good because of a phenomenon known as "rosy retrospection." This is a cognitive bias where people tend to remember the past in a positive light and overlook negative aspects. Additionally, we often compare our current lives to our former lives and only remember the positive aspects, leading to the belief that our former lives were better.

2. Is it common for people to romanticize their former lives?

Yes, it is very common for people to romanticize their former lives. This can be due to nostalgia or a desire to escape from current stressors. However, it is important to remember that our memories are not always accurate and our former lives may not have been as perfect as we remember them to be.

3. Can our perception of our former lives change over time?

Yes, our perception of our former lives can definitely change over time. As we grow and experience new things, our perspective and priorities shift. What we may have viewed as important or ideal in our former lives may not hold the same significance to us now.

4. Are there any negative effects of constantly thinking about our former lives?

Constantly dwelling on our former lives can lead to dissatisfaction and disappointment with our current lives. It can also prevent us from fully embracing the present and moving forward. It is important to find a healthy balance between remembering our past and living in the present.

5. How can we learn to appreciate our current lives instead of constantly longing for our former lives?

One way to appreciate our current lives is to practice gratitude. Take time to reflect on the positive aspects of your current life and acknowledge the progress you have made. Also, try to focus on the present moment and make the most out of it. Finally, remember that our former lives were not perfect either and it is important to embrace the journey and growth that has led us to where we are now.