Can sound travel faster than a speeding jet?

• Thread starter Orl13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary, the discussion revolved around whether or not a passenger on a passenger jet traveling faster than the speed of sound would be able to hear a yell from another passenger sitting in a different seat. Some argued that the shock wave created by the supersonic speed would prevent sound from traveling, while others pointed out that the air inside the cabin is still and the plane's motion would not affect sound transmission. The mention of the Concorde sparked a debate on whether or not people can hear it when it flies overhead. The original question was clarified to be about passengers inside the jet, not outside, and it was agreed that they would be able to have a normal conversation without the need for yelling.
Orl13
Suppose there is a passenger jet traveling slightly faster than the speed of sound. There are only two passengers on the jet (excluding the pilots.) One passenger in the seat closest to the back(passenger A) of the plane and one at the seat nearest to the nose(passenger B). If passenger A were to yell to passenger B, would B never hear the yell? If that is true then if B were to yell towards the front of the plane, would A catch up to the the yell?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your hypotehis assumes as if the jet is open to air outside...Passenger b can hear the yell since sound waves can be considered to be vibration of the medium

Hi,
I do not agree with .ultimate. I think that sound uttered by passenger A will add to the shock wave created by the passenger himself but will not go further. In the shock wave the sound velocity is higher than in the air outside because the air is hotter.

supposing the outside air temperature is not afffecting things inside the jet(whatever is the shock wave theory), then A & B should be feeling like they are talking in a discussion room! this is because when you say that A hears something being said, it means that the sound vibrations reach A's ears. As the air inside the plane is constantly moving along with the jet body, its like being in a discussion room itself...

As long as the plane isn't open to the outside, the air inside is still, so the plane's motion has no effect on the way sound works inside the cabin.

Haven't you guys heard of the Concorde?

I do not think that the question of Orl13 was "where the passengers able to hold a conversation inside the Concorde". If this was the case, the question is uninteresting. I thought the question was about transmission of sound outside the plane and making abstraction of the biological impossibilities. If this poses a problem, you can replace passengers by sound transducers. If I misunderstood, I apologize.

russ_watters said:

Wasn't this the reason why the concorde was taken out of the air ?
The hostess couldn't talk to the pilot when they were flying at Mach 2 :biggrin: :rofl: :rofl:

lpfr said:
I do not think that the question of Orl13 was "where the passengers able to hold a conversation inside the Concorde". If this was the case, the question is uninteresting. I thought the question was about transmission of sound outside the plane and making abstraction of the biological impossibilities. If this poses a problem, you can replace passengers by sound transducers. If I misunderstood, I apologize.
Well, the OP mentions seats, and after that disaster in the '60s, they don't mount seats outside the plane anymore... :tongue2:

russ_watters said:

Evidently not. It's impossible to hear of the Concorde because it's supersonic. People may have seen of the Concorde...

I did heard the Concorde (well, only the shock wave).

brewnog said:
Evidently not. It's impossible to hear of the Concorde because it's supersonic. People may have seen of the Concorde...
Terrible, terrible joke, brewnog - I expect better from you. :tongue:

I'm sorry, I guess I didn't clarify the question well enough. Actually the concorde is the aircraft that I had in mind when I thought up this question the other day. The two passengers are sitting Inside the jet. Simply, can B hear a yell from A since the jet since the jet is traveling faster than sound?

As the joking responses should imply, there isn't anything different between what goes on inside a Concorde than what goes on inside a subsonic jet. People hold normal conversations - no yelling required.

1. What is sound?

Sound is a form of energy that is created by vibrations traveling through a medium, such as air or water. These vibrations cause the molecules in the medium to move, creating sound waves that can be heard by our ears.

2. How does sound travel?

Sound travels in waves, similar to waves in the ocean. These waves move outward from their source in all directions, and can travel through various mediums, such as air, water, or solid objects. The speed of sound depends on the medium it is traveling through, with sound travelling faster through denser mediums.

3. What is the difference between pitch and volume?

Pitch refers to how high or low a sound is, and is determined by the frequency of the sound waves. The higher the frequency, the higher the pitch. Volume, on the other hand, refers to how loud or soft a sound is, and is determined by the amplitude or height of the sound waves. The higher the amplitude, the louder the sound.

4. How do we hear sound?

When sound waves enter our ears, they cause our eardrums to vibrate. These vibrations are then transmitted to the inner ear, where tiny hair cells convert them into electrical signals that are sent to the brain. The brain then interprets these signals as sound.

5. Can sound travel through a vacuum?

No, sound cannot travel through a vacuum because there is no medium for the sound waves to vibrate and travel through. This is why sound cannot be heard in outer space, where there is a vacuum. Sound waves need a medium, such as air, to travel through in order to be heard.