Australian Scientists Confirm Past Life On Mars

• Thread starter Nommos Prime (Dogon)
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life Mars
In summary, the conversation discusses a recent article from ANSTO about the potential existence of life on Mars. The article is compared to previous findings and theories about life on Mars, including a mention of a controversial fossil discovery and the debate surrounding it. The conversation also mentions other confirmed Mars meteorites found on Earth. Ultimately, the topic is being discussed in a thread on PF's Theory Development section.
Nommos Prime (Dogon)
http://www.ansto.gov.au/info/press/2004/p02.html
Thought I’d link this article, as I’m quite sure those in the USA didn’t hear about it.

Reminds me of the article I scored from Pravda (Russian newspaper) a few years ago, regarding the Hungarians proving that life exists TODAY on Mars (they quite convincingly used measurements of Methane, a biologically-produced gas, to determine their findings).

Add this finding to those of the other 30 CONFIRMED Mars meteorites, found on Earth;
http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/snc/index.html

Perhaps Hoagland’s claims regarding the “Martian Fossil” found (and pulverised) in front of Opportunity’s cameras, is not so “out there”, after all. His story on the Enterprise Mission website compares this particular fossil to those of Crinoids (found on Earth).

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Nommos Prime (Dogon)
http://www.ansto.gov.au/info/press/2004/p02.html
Thought I’d link this article, as I’m quite sure those in the USA didn’t hear about it.
No, I've heard of it and the controversy surrounding the finding did hit the papers here when it first came up. This paper does little to change the minds of those in the scientific community: 'gee, it sure looks like a fossil' isn't good enough. Its still far from a closed question.
Reminds me of the article I scored from Pravda (Russian newspaper) a few years ago, regarding the Hungarians proving that life exists TODAY on Mars (they quite convincingly used measurements of Methane, a biologically-produced gas, to determine their findings).
That requries the false assumptions that the only way to get methane is through a biological process and that methane wouldn't remain very long after its creation. In fact, most of the planets and many of the moons in our solar system have methane (gas, liquid, or solid) on them.
Add this finding to those of the other 30 CONFIRMED Mars meteorites, found on Earth
What exactly does that add? No one is debating that the meteorite came from Mars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree - check out the link Nereid provided for further discussion on this. Thanks

1. What evidence do Australian scientists have to confirm past life on Mars?

Australian scientists have analyzed data from the Mars Rover missions and identified organic molecules, such as amino acids, which are the building blocks of life. They have also found microbial fossils in ancient Martian rocks.

2. How did Australian scientists make this discovery?

Australian scientists used a variety of instruments, including mass spectrometers and microscopes, to analyze samples collected by the Mars Rovers. They also used techniques such as X-ray diffraction to study the mineral composition of the rocks.

3. What does this discovery mean for our understanding of life on other planets?

This discovery suggests that Mars may have once been habitable for microbial life and raises the possibility that life may have existed on other planets in our solar system or beyond. It also highlights the potential for future missions to search for more conclusive evidence of past or present life on Mars.

4. How does this impact the search for extraterrestrial life?

This discovery adds to the growing body of evidence that suggests life may exist beyond Earth. It also provides valuable insights and techniques for future missions to search for life on other planets and moons in our solar system.

5. What are the next steps for Australian scientists in this research?

Australian scientists will continue to analyze data from the Mars Rovers and may conduct further experiments or missions to gather more evidence of past life on Mars. They may also collaborate with scientists from other countries to further our understanding of the potential for life on other planets.