Whirlpool Form in your Bathtub

• Thread starter Raza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form
In summary, the formation of a whirlpool in a drain is influenced by local parameters such as the initial direction of water flow and the type of hardware involved. Research has shown that the Coriolis force does not play a significant role in determining the direction of rotation. Instead, conservation of angular momentum and water viscosity contribute to the acceleration of water towards the drain, resulting in the formation of a vortex. This process is observed as a positive feedback loop, with the rotation of water increasing and eventually forming a whirlpool.
Raza
Why does a whirlpool form in your bathtub, sink or toilet when the water is draining? And what factors are responsible for which way the whirlpool rotates?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I know, the whirlpool forming in the drain depends only on the initial conditions of the water in the tub, such as the direction it was flowing when the drain was opened, and maybe the type of hardware involved, etc. In other words, only on local small scale parameters, not on atmospheric forces like the Coriolis Force, etc.

I do remember a post on this forum somewhere where someone showed that research was done to show that the Coriolis Force had nothing to do with the direction of rotation for draining water. So, if you were wondering about this specifically, you can rest assured, that this doesn't affect your toilet!

Last edited:
Indeed they say the Coriolis force is responsible for the flow of water in bathtubs, toilets, etc. I admit it would explain why they always flow in one direction in the northern hemisphere, but the opposite in the southern hemisphere; but then, I'm guessing that this too is a misconception, especially since the Coriolis force would make the water spin in the opposite direction than what happens in reality.

Angular momentum, however, does have a role to play. Every molecule of water in the bathtub has a certain "orbital" angular momentum about the drain. When you open it, conservation of angular momentum takes over. As each particle gets closer, its speed must increase to conserve angular momentum (since L = mvr). That's why the water speeds up closer to the drain. Eventually the surface of the water breaks, resulting in a vortex.

Well, I hope my rambling helps explain this!

Last edited:
The explanation given by arunma is good, but is just the beginning. I think that there is a positive feedback due to water viscosity. As the water near the sink turns faster, it transfers some of its angular momentum to the neighbor outer water, which will turn faster than it would without the moment transfer. This cumulative process can be observed: at the beginning there is no much rotation. But rotation increases and ends forming a vortex.

1. What causes a whirlpool to form in my bathtub?

A whirlpool in your bathtub is caused by the combination of water flow and air currents. When water enters the tub, it creates a circular motion due to the force of gravity. As this water moves, it also creates a low-pressure area that draws in air. The air mixes with the water, creating the swirling effect we see as a whirlpool.

2. Can I control the direction of the whirlpool in my bathtub?

Yes, you can control the direction of the whirlpool in your bathtub by adjusting the water flow and the position of any objects in the tub. Typically, the direction of the whirlpool will follow the direction of the water flow, so changing the flow can change the direction. Additionally, placing objects in the tub can also affect the direction of the whirlpool.

3. How long will a whirlpool last in my bathtub?

The duration of a whirlpool in your bathtub will depend on several factors, including the strength of the water flow, the size and shape of the tub, and the amount of air being drawn in. In most cases, a whirlpool will last for a few minutes before dissipating.

4. Are whirlpools in my bathtub safe?

Yes, whirlpools in your bathtub are generally safe as long as you follow basic safety precautions. It is important to never leave a young child unattended in a bathtub with a whirlpool, as they may become disoriented or at risk of drowning. Additionally, be cautious of the water temperature and any objects that may be in the tub.

5. Can I recreate a whirlpool in my bathtub at home?

Yes, you can easily recreate a whirlpool in your bathtub at home by adjusting the water flow and using objects to create turbulence. However, it is important to note that not all tubs are suitable for creating whirlpools, and it is always important to follow safety precautions.