Solving Strength of Materials Homework Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the correct answer to a question involving moments, stress, and shear stress. The attempt at a solution involves offsetting forces to point C and using equations to find the principle strain, but the correct answer cannot be achieved and help is requested.
frozen7

Homework Statement

In the attachment

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been solving this question for quite some time but I can't get the answer yet.
I offset all the forces to point C and I get the following values:
Moment at y-axis, M(y) = 10Nm
Moment at z-axis, M(z) = 48Nm

Stress at x-axis = -M(z) x (21mm) / I = -20MPa
Stress at z-axis = 0

Shear stress at xz plane = Tc/J
= (40Nm) (21mm) / J
= 8.33MPa
By applying the following equations to get the principle strain,
tan(2theta)=2(Shear stress at xz plane) /(Stress at x-axis - Stress at z-axis)

I can't get the correct answer.

Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Q4.JPG
    Q4.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 728
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you check your units?

Yes i did...Is my way of doing correct?

What is the process for solving a strength of materials homework problem?

The process for solving a strength of materials homework problem typically involves several steps. First, the problem should be carefully read and the given information should be identified. Then, relevant equations and formulas should be selected and any necessary conversions should be made. Next, the solution should be carefully calculated using proper units and significant figures. Finally, the solution should be checked for accuracy and any necessary adjustments should be made.

How do I determine the appropriate equations and formulas to use for a strength of materials problem?

The appropriate equations and formulas to use for a strength of materials problem will depend on the specific type of problem and the given information. It is important to have a strong understanding of the concepts and principles of strength of materials in order to determine the most relevant equations and formulas for a given problem. It may also be helpful to refer to textbooks or other resources for guidance.

What should I do if I am stuck on a strength of materials problem?

If you are stuck on a strength of materials problem, it is important to first review the given information and make sure you have a clear understanding of the problem. You can also try breaking the problem down into smaller parts and tackling each part separately. It may also be helpful to discuss the problem with classmates or seek assistance from a teacher or tutor.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving strength of materials problems?

Common mistakes to avoid when solving strength of materials problems include using incorrect units, not properly converting units, using incorrect equations or formulas, and making calculation errors. It is important to double check all calculations and make sure that the units are consistent throughout the problem.

How can I check the accuracy of my solution for a strength of materials problem?

To check the accuracy of your solution for a strength of materials problem, you can compare your solution to the given answer or use the solution to solve the problem in a different way. You can also check for consistency with known principles and concepts in the field of strength of materials. If there are any discrepancies, you can go back and review your calculations and make any necessary adjustments.