Who was more genius, Einstein or Newton?

In summary, the question is unanswerable and pointless, and the people asking it are just looking for a funny joke.
sancho2007
Please help to find the answer of this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
NOT AGAIN!

There is NO answer to this question. It is not worth the effor to try. Both smart. Both geniuses. Different times, different problems. No answer. Hurry, hide before Cyrus sees you!

It seems rather subjective.

They came from different places and times. Einstein had the benefit of the his predecessors, which includes Newton.

What is the point of such a question? And why do people worry about "who is/was the best?"

sancho2007 said:
Please help to find the answer of this question.

I think it is agreeable that they both were very smart and your question is kinda like "Which one tastes better, an apple or an orange?"

Astronuc said:
They came from different places and times. Einstein had the benefit of the his predecessors, which includes Newton.

Didn't Newton also stand on the shoulder of giants? :wink:

Chi Meson said:
NOT AGAIN!

There is NO answer to this question. It is not worth the effor to try. Both smart. Both geniuses. Different times, different problems. No answer. Hurry, hide before Cyrus sees you!

Cracks knuckles :rofl:

I'd say Galileo was the greatest physicist ever.

Newton didn't really discover anything new as far as I know, he was really mathematician not physicist. All he did was apply Leibnitz's new mathematics of caculus to Galileo's 100 year old law of motion. Now Galileo's law of motion has mysteriously become renamed as Newton's first law...:uhh:

I think Newton didn't even fully understand Galileos laws until they were explained to him by Hooke (of Hookes Law and the universal joints). Also there's no reason to believe Newton was first to discover the inverse square law for gravity either, a number of people were dicussing the same at that time and Hooke actually took out a court case against Newton accusing him of plaigiarism.

Unless you do something great, they were both smarter than you. That's the answer.;)

YellowTaxi said:
I'd say Galileo was the greatest physicist ever.

Newton didn't really discover anything new as far as I know, he was really mathematician not physicist. All he did was apply Leibnitz's new mathematics of caculus to Galileo's 100 year old law of motion. Now Galileo's law of motion has mysteriously become renamed as Newton's first law...:uhh:

I think Newton didn't even fully understand Galileos laws until they were explained to him by Hooke (of Hookes Law and the universal joints). Also there's no reason to believe Newton was first to discover the inverse square law for gravity either, a number of people were dicussing the same at that time and Hooke actually took out a court case against Newton accusing him of plaigiarism.

:bugeye: :eek: :confused:

I vote for a lock

Reminds me of a thread in another forum where one member claims that Mozart and Haydn didn't write most of their works, and that Mozart was nothing more than a sham. :biggrin:

What's the point in 95% of the topics posted in General Discussion Astronuc, Chi Meson, cyrusabdollahi?

It seems that in General Discussion people just want to chat about all kind of things like cracking jokes, cute cats, disney, how much presidential candidate X is so much better than candidate Y etc.

I do not see a problem with that.
But now there is apparently an issue with this particular posting?

Astronuc said:
What is the point of such a question? And why do people worry about "who is/was the best?"

I second that.

Edit:

MeJennifer said:
It seems that in General Discussion people just want to chat about all kind of things like cracking jokes, cute cats, disney, how much presidential candidate X is so much better than candidate Y etc.

I do not see a problem with that.
But now there is apparently an issue with this particular posting?

Because this is a scientific forum, and topics related in any way to science are regarded in a different way.

Last edited:
I don't know how many times this question, or ones very similar, have been asked here. There's no answer, for all the reasons already described. Toss a coin and pick one if you really must.

Cyrus, you've disappointed me...I was counting on a "Thread Locked" line. This time I'd have granted it. :biggrin:

1. Who was more genius, Einstein or Newton?

Einstein and Newton were both brilliant scientists who made significant contributions to the field of physics. It is difficult to determine who was more genius as they had different areas of expertise and made different types of groundbreaking discoveries.

2. What were Einstein and Newton's main achievements?

Einstein is most famous for his theory of relativity, which revolutionized our understanding of space and time. He also developed the famous equation E=mc^2, which explains the relationship between mass and energy. Newton is known for his laws of motion and universal gravitation, which laid the foundation for classical mechanics.

3. How did Einstein and Newton's work impact science and society?

Einstein's theory of relativity paved the way for modern physics and led to advancements in technology such as nuclear energy and GPS systems. Newton's laws of motion and universal gravitation are still used today to understand motion and predict the movement of objects, making them fundamental to many areas of science and engineering.

4. Who had a greater influence on future scientists, Einstein or Newton?

Both Einstein and Newton have had a significant impact on future scientists and their work continues to inspire new discoveries. However, Einstein's theories have had a greater influence on modern physics and have led to further advancements in the field.

5. What were some similarities and differences between Einstein and Newton?

Both Einstein and Newton were brilliant scientists who made groundbreaking discoveries in physics. However, they had different approaches to their work; Newton relied on mathematical equations and experimentation, while Einstein relied more on thought experiments and theoretical models. They also had different areas of expertise, with Einstein focusing on theoretical physics and Newton on classical mechanics.