Extended Canonical Transformation

In summary, the condition for a canonical transformation to be an extended canonical transformation is that PQ' = λpq'. To determine the values of α and β for this to hold true, the small angle approximation is used and it is found that for α = 1/2 and β = 0, the condition is satisfied. However, the problem statement does not provide any information about the validity of this approximation.
Magister

Homework Statement

The transformation equations are:

[tex]
Q=q^\alpha cos(\beta p)
[/tex]

[tex]
P=q^\alpha sin(\beta p)
[/tex]

For what values of [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] do these equations represent an extended canonical transformation?

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, just for a start, what is the condition for a canonical transformation to be an extended canonical transformation?

Physics news on Phys.org
I got a solution but it doesn't seems very satisfactory

I believe that the condition for a canonical transformation to be an extended canonical transformation is that

[tex]
PQ^\prime = \lambda p q^\prime
[/tex]

But I am not 100% sure.

Then I do

[tex]
PQ^\prime = q^\alpha sen(\beta p)(\alpha q^{\alpha-1}q^\prime cos(\beta p)-q^\alpha \beta sen(\beta p) p^\prime)
[/tex]

Now I do the small angle approximation saying that [itex]\beta[/itex] is small. Is this point that I am not sure because the problem statement don't gives any information about this approximation.
However, doing this I get:

[tex]
PQ^\prime \simeq \alpha q^{2\alpha -1} \beta p q^\prime - \beta^3 q^{2\alpha} p^2 p^\prime
[/tex]

Using

[tex]
\beta^3 \simeq 0
[/tex]

and

[tex]
\alpha=\frac{1}{2}
[/tex]

I get

[tex]
PQ^\prime \simeq \frac{\beta}{2} p q^\prime
[/tex]

At least I get the condition of an extended canonical transformation

Am I thinking right?
Thanks for any suggestion.

1. What is an extended canonical transformation?

An extended canonical transformation is a mathematical tool used in classical mechanics to transform the coordinates and momenta variables of a system while preserving the Hamiltonian equations of motion. It is an extension of the traditional canonical transformation to include time as a variable.

2. How is an extended canonical transformation different from a traditional canonical transformation?

An extended canonical transformation includes time as a variable, whereas a traditional canonical transformation does not. This allows for more general transformations and can be useful in systems with time-dependent Hamiltonians.

3. What are the key equations involved in an extended canonical transformation?

The key equations involved in an extended canonical transformation are the extended Hamilton's equations of motion, which relate the derivatives of the new coordinates and momenta to the derivatives of the old coordinates and momenta, and the extended Hamiltonian, which is the total energy of the system expressed in terms of the new coordinates and momenta.

4. How is an extended canonical transformation useful in classical mechanics?

An extended canonical transformation is useful for simplifying the mathematical form of the Hamiltonian equations of motion and finding new sets of coordinates that may be more convenient for solving a particular problem. It can also reveal symmetries and conserved quantities in a system.

5. Are there any limitations to using an extended canonical transformation?

One limitation of extended canonical transformations is that they may not always exist or may be difficult to find for certain systems. Additionally, they may not always result in a simpler form of the Hamiltonian equations of motion. Furthermore, they cannot be used to change the form of the Hamiltonian function itself, only the coordinates and momenta variables.