2 blocks being pulled across the floor

• Thread starter mujadeo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Blocks
In summary, the problem involves two blocks with masses of 2 kg and 3 kg being pulled with a force of 22 N. The coefficient of friction between the blocks and the floor is 0.26. The acceleration of the whole system is calculated to be 1.85 m/s/s. To find the tension in the string between the blocks, the net force on m1 must be calculated using the formula F=ma. This net force includes the weight, normal force, tension, and friction acting on m1. The weight and normal force cancel each other out, but the tension and friction do not. Therefore, the tension cannot equal the net force.
mujadeo

Homework Statement

A block of mass m1 = 2 kg and a block of mass m2 = 3 kg are tied together and are pulled from rest across the floor by a force of P = 22 N. The coefficient of friction of the blocks with the floor is µ = 0.26.
m1 is on left, pulling force on right

Homework Equations

What is the tension in the string between the blocks?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already got the acceleration of the 2 blocks (first part of prob).
This is [22N/(2kg+5kg)] - [5*9.8*.26] = 1.85m/s/s = acceleration of whole system.

I'm stuck on the tension though...but here's what i did.
F=ma
F=2*1.85 = 3.7N

Then to get the opposing (frictional) force i went
F= µn
F= .26 (2*9.8) = 3.7 = 5.1N

Then i find the difference to get net force: 5.1 - 3.7 = 1.4N

this is wrong though? please help, and thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
mujadeo said:
I've already got the acceleration of the 2 blocks (first part of prob).
This is [22N/(2kg+5kg)] - [5*9.8*.26] = 1.85m/s/s = acceleration of whole system.
OK.

I'm stuck on the tension though...but here's what i did.
F=ma
F=2*1.85 = 3.7N
This is the net force on m1.

Then to get the opposing (frictional) force i went
F= µn
F= .26 (2*9.8) = 3.7 = 5.1N
OK.

Then i find the difference to get net force: 5.1 - 3.7 = 1.4N
That's not the net force!

What other force acts on m1?

Realize that F = ma is the net force. Identify (on a diagram) all individual forces acting on each block. The sum of those forces on each block must equal the net force on that block from F = ma.

all forces acting on m1 are weight, normal, tension and friction
If F=ma is the net force on m1, doesn't that = the pulling tension in the string?

mujadeo said:
all forces acting on m1 are weight, normal, tension and friction
Right. The weight and normal force cancel, but the others do not.

If F=ma is the net force on m1, doesn't that = the pulling tension in the string?
No. The tension is just one of the forces acting on the block. How can it equal the net force?

1. What is the concept of "2 blocks being pulled across the floor"?

The concept of "2 blocks being pulled across the floor" refers to a situation where two blocks are connected by a rope or a similar object and being pulled across a flat surface.

2. What are the forces acting on the blocks in this scenario?

In this scenario, the two main forces acting on the blocks are the force of tension in the rope and the force of friction between the blocks and the surface of the floor.

3. How does the weight of the blocks affect their movement?

The weight of the blocks will determine the magnitude of the force of friction acting on them. The heavier the blocks, the greater the force of friction and the harder it will be to pull them across the floor.

4. What factors can affect the speed of the blocks being pulled?

The speed of the blocks being pulled can be affected by various factors such as the weight of the blocks, the strength of the force pulling them, the type of surface they are being pulled on, and the presence of any obstacles or inclines on the surface.

5. What is the role of friction in this scenario?

The force of friction between the blocks and the surface of the floor is what resists their movement and makes it harder to pull them across the floor. Friction also helps to keep the blocks in place and prevents them from slipping or sliding.