How do I stretch the graph of y=x^3 horizontally by a factor of 3?

So the graph would be compressed from y = x^3, and you're right that it would look like y = (1/3)x^3. In summary, the function whose graph is the graph of y = x^3 stretched horizontally by a factor of 3 would be y = (1/3)x^3 or y = [(1/3)x]^3 or y = (x/3)^3.
shoook
1. Find the domain of the function 5x/8x^2+9 in interval notation.

3. I believe the domain is all real numbers, but do not know what that would look like in interval notation. Could someone show me?

Physics news on Phys.org
shoook said:
3. I believe the domain is all real numbers, but do not know what that would look like in interval notation. Could someone show me?

You would be right: since the denominator is always positive (in fact, never less than 9), the ratio is always defined. In interval notation, the set of real numbers looks like
( -infinity , +infinity) .

[Sorry, I haven't worked out yet how to get the symbols on this browser; I can see I'll need to review TeX...]

Thank you very much.

Would the domain of a graph that has more than one integer on the same Y coordinate, but none repeating in the X be considered all real numbers?

It would be [ tex ][-\infty, \infty [ /tex ]
[tex][-\infty, \infty][/tex]

Thank you.

HallsofIvy said:
It would be [ tex ][-\infty, \infty [ /tex ]
[tex][-\infty, \infty][/tex]

One would want parentheses rather than brackets, no? [tex](-\infty, \infty)[/tex]

shoook said:
Would the domain of a graph that has more than one integer on the same Y coordinate, but none repeating in the X be considered all real numbers?

I think HallsofIvy was answering my TeX question. If I understand your question, I think the condition doesn't tell you much about the domain. Since the domain of a (numerical) function is the set of numbers for which the calculations of the function are defined, we'd have to know what is being used in the graph. A semicircle above the X-axis ( X^2 + Y^2 = R^2, Y>=0 ) would have more than one occurrence of Y-coordinates and no repetitions of X-coordinates, but the domain of the graph would be
[-R,R]. We'd need more information about the graph to resolve this question.

Write the function whose graph is the graph of y=x^3, but is stretched horizontally by a factor of 3.

I think it should look like y=1/3x^3 but am unsure. Does anyone know if this is close?

You are right, of course, the proper answer is [itex](-\infty, \infty)[/itex] I was focusing on how to show that in LaTex and didn't get it right.

By the way, you can see the code on any LaTex by just clicking on it. There is also a "LaTex thread" under "tutorials".

HallsofIvy said:
You are right, of course, the proper answer is [itex](-\infty, \infty)[/itex] I was focusing on how to show that in LaTex and didn't get it right.

By the way, you can see the code on any LaTex by just clicking on it. There is also a "LaTex thread" under "tutorials".

Thanks! I won't say how long it's been since I had to use LaTeX for anything; goodness knows where the "manual" I had has gotten to. I found out about viewing the code already: I've been nicking people's equations to use or modify from time to time so far. I'll have a look at the tutorial here.

shoook said:
Write the function whose graph is the graph of y=x^3, but is stretched horizontally by a factor of 3.

I think it should look like y=1/3x^3 but am unsure. Does anyone know if this is close?

To make a horizontal scale change of the function f(x) by a factor k>0, you would use f(kx) . If k>1, you get a compression or "squash"; if 0 < k < 1, you get a "stretch". You can think of it as if you were running along the graph k times faster, plotting points in the interval [0, kx] on the interval [0, x].

So you're thinking in the right direction, but the function would need to be
y = [(1/3)x]^3 or (x/3)^3 . Notice that, since this gives you y = (1/27)(x^3), stretching y = x^3 horizontally by a factor of 3 gives you the same graph as if you had squashed the original function *vertically* by a factor of 27 (that is, as if you'd multiplied the original function's values by (1/27) ).

What is the definition of domain in interval notation?

The domain in interval notation refers to the set of all possible input values of a function. It is often represented as an interval, such as [a, b] or (a, b), where a and b are the endpoints of the interval. This notation is commonly used to indicate the range of values that a function is defined for.

How do you express a domain in interval notation?

To express a domain in interval notation, you need to identify the endpoints of the interval, which are the minimum and maximum values of the input. Then, you can use brackets [ ] or parentheses ( ) to enclose the endpoints, depending on whether the interval is inclusive or exclusive. For example, if the domain is all real numbers greater than or equal to 2, it can be expressed as [2, ∞).

What are the different types of intervals in domain notation?

The three main types of intervals in domain notation are open intervals, closed intervals, and half-open intervals. An open interval does not include the endpoints, while a closed interval includes both endpoints. A half-open interval includes one endpoint but not the other, and can be expressed as [a, b) or (a, b].

Can a domain in interval notation include infinite values?

Yes, a domain in interval notation can include infinite values. This is often indicated by using the infinity symbol (∞) in the interval notation. For example, the domain of all real numbers greater than or equal to 5 can be expressed as [5, ∞).

How do you represent a domain in interval notation for a piecewise function?

To represent a domain in interval notation for a piecewise function, you need to consider the different intervals for which the function is defined. Each interval will have its own domain, and these can be represented using the appropriate interval notation. The overall domain of the piecewise function will be the union of all the individual intervals.