EM - Diseases. Is there a link?

• Medical
  • Thread starter SF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Em Link
In summary, there have been numerous articles from sources such as BBC and Daily Mail discussing a possible link between cellphone and radio waves and diseases like cancer. Some have even reported on statements made at medical conventions. However, it is important to note that newspaper reporting does not necessarily mean that a claim is scientifically sound. For example, while there may be studies supporting a hypothesis, it is nearly impossible to prove or disprove it completely. Therefore, it is best to focus on more proven dangers, such as the risks associated with cigarette smoking. As for cellphone use, the only proven risk is the increased likelihood of accidents while driving.
SF
Numerous BBC and Daily Mail articles ( yeah, trustworthy sources 8-| ) keep bringing this up, stating that there might indeed be a link between cellphone/radio waves and disease (usually cancer).

My mother has informed me that at the latest Romanian Neurology Convention they stated that too (I've been trying to find the research that backed that up, but haven't made much progress so far).

I know the frequencies used in radio/cellphones can't break apart our DNA, but could there be other effects? (Physiological ones, not psychological - like addiction and social isolation).
Has anything been found on this issue?

Biology news on Phys.org
Newspapers report on what some person said or 'reported' in a paper. They don't check the person's credentials necessarily. Since it is newsworthy it gets reported. Getting reported does not mean it is scientifically sound. In 2004 54% of newspaper articles on global warming were about the 'doubts' surrounding it. At that time, ~95% of all climate researchers expressed no doubts (this is another controversial study).

Here is the problem:
You cannot disprove a hypothesis because the only way to prove a negative hypothesis is to check every possible case. This is often physically and monetarily impossible. You can only prove another hypothesis.

For example,
"intelligent aliens from another planet have visited the planet Earth in the past."

This is a hypothesis. There is no evidence to support it. But people who favor UFO's argue that it has to be 'disproven', in order to be dismissed. There is no practical way to do that because after you check everything - at great expense - the supporters can say you didn't scour every inch of the ocean floor. It's a kind of logical fallacy. You simply do not have to disprove anything, you can only prove a hypothesis of this kind.

So, what happens with acid rain, global warming, thimerosol, cell phones, and every other controversial thing like this - people who support it point to 'studies' that prove the point, or ask the scientists to disprove the dissenting point of view.

Does newspaer reprting make the statement about EMF and cell phones true or false? Scientifically, right now, to the best of my knowledge, there is no proof. And of course disproof is out of the question.

My direct answer is: find something else to worry about. Cigarette smoking is infinitely more dangerous to smokers and those next to them than any cell phone use, yet it is on the rise among young people. Worry about that instead.

The only proven hypothesis about cell phones is that using them while driving results in what you'd expect: more accidents.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is EM disease?

EM disease, or electromagnetic hypersensitivity, is a condition in which an individual experiences various symptoms such as headaches, fatigue, and skin irritation when exposed to electromagnetic fields (EMFs) from sources such as cell phones, Wi-Fi, and power lines.

2. Is there scientific evidence linking EMFs to diseases?

There is currently no conclusive scientific evidence that directly links EMFs to diseases. However, some studies have shown a possible association between EMF exposure and certain health effects, such as an increased risk of childhood leukemia and brain tumors. More research is needed to fully understand the potential health effects of EMFs.

3. Can EMFs cause cancer?

There is no definitive evidence that EMFs cause cancer. However, some studies have suggested a possible link between EMF exposure and certain types of cancer. These studies have been largely inconclusive and further research is needed to determine any potential risks.

4. How can I protect myself from EMFs?

There are several steps you can take to reduce your exposure to EMFs, such as using a hands-free device for your cell phone, keeping your distance from sources of EMFs, and limiting your overall use of electronic devices. However, it is important to note that the scientific community does not currently agree on the effectiveness of these measures.

5. Are some people more sensitive to EMFs than others?

There is no conclusive evidence that some people are more sensitive to EMFs than others. However, some individuals may experience symptoms that they attribute to EMF exposure, while others may not. This could be due to a variety of factors, such as individual sensitivity or psychological factors.