Impulse and average force of ball

In summary, the ball of mass m collides with a vertical wall at an angle of \theta_i and a velocity of v_i. The duration of the collision is \Delta t and is completely elastic with negligible friction. The force exerted on the ball by the wall is parallel to the x-axis. Using the equations for impulse, momentum, and kinetic energy conservation, the magnitude of the average force exerted on the ball by the wall can be determined to be F = \frac{2msin\theta_{i}v_{i}}{(\Delta t)}.
polymerase

Homework Statement

A ball of mass m moving with velocity [tex]v_{i}[/tex] strikes a vertical wall. The angle between the ball's initial velocity vector and the wall is [tex]\theta_{i}[/tex] as shown on the diagram, which depicts the situation as seen from above. The duration of the collision between the ball and the wall is [tex]\Delta[/tex]t, and this collision is completely elastic. Friction is negligible, so the ball does not start spinning. In this idealized collision, the force exerted on the ball by the wall is parallel to the x axis.

http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1010992/25/MLM_e2.jpg

Homework Equations

What is the magnitude F of the average force exerted on the ball by the wall?

How do you even start this question...? i don't know what its talking about. Any comments would be great

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of impulse?

or rather...

the average force = mass*average acceleration

so what is the average acceleration...

Last edited:
learningphysics said:
What is the definition of impulse?

or rather...

the average force = mass*average acceleration

so what is the average acceleration...

ok well impulse is the change in linear momentum so, F[tex]\Delta[/tex]t = m[tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{v}[/tex] but in this case it isn't linear...and I am not sure what you mean by average acceleration. but the thing is i was told by my teacher, the answer does not depend on the variable [tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{p}[/tex] or m[tex]v_{i}[/tex]

Hmmm... I'm not sure how the answer can't depend on mvi...

Momentum is linear... think of the momentum along the x-axis (perpendicular to the wall), and the momentum along the y-axis (parallel to the wall).

[tex]F_x*(\Delta t) = mv_{xfinal} - mv_{xinitial}[/tex]

[tex]F_y*(\Delta t) = mv_{yfinal} - mv_{yinitial}[/tex], but Fy is just 0 according to the question... so

[tex]0 = mv_{yfinal} - mv_{yinitial}[/tex]

You are also given that the collision is perfectly elastic... therefore the final kinetic energy = initial kinetic energy.

so try to use these 3 equations (impulse in the x-direciton, impulse in the y-direction, conservation of kinetic energy)

to solve for Fx.

learningphysics said:
Hmmm... I'm not sure how the answer can't depend on mvi...

Momentum is linear... think of the momentum along the x-axis (perpendicular to the wall), and the momentum along the y-axis (parallel to the wall).

[tex]F_x*(\Delta t) = mv_{xfinal} - mv_{xinitial}[/tex]

[tex]F_y*(\Delta t) = mv_{yfinal} - mv_{yinitial}[/tex], but Fy is just 0 according to the question... so

[tex]0 = mv_{yfinal} - mv_{yinitial}[/tex]

You are also given that the collision is perfectly elastic... therefore the final kinetic energy = initial kinetic energy.

so try to use these 3 equations (impulse in the x-direciton, impulse in the y-direction, conservation of kinetic energy)

to solve for Fx.

How come you need the three equations? why can't you just rearrange the Fx to get you

[tex]F_{x}[/tex]= [tex]\frac{mv_{xfinal} - mv_{xinitial}}{(\Delta t)}[/tex]

note: my mistake, the answer does depend on [tex]mv_{xi}[/tex] but it does not depend on [tex]mv_{xf}[/tex]

so in light of this information, i guess i have to ask you how these 3 equations actually relate to one another.

Last edited:
To get rid of the extra variables... if you just use that equation, you have vf, vinitial, thetafinal, thetainitial...

you should be able to write the final answer just in terms of vinitial and thetainitial...

learningphysics said:
To get rid of the extra variables... if you just use that equation, you have vf, vinitial, thetafinal, thetainitial...

you should be able to write the final answer just in terms of vinitial and thetainitial...

so is the final answer just F = m[tex]v_{ix}[/tex]/t

polymerase said:
so is the final answer just F = m[tex]v_{ix}[/tex]/t

not quite... how did you get that?

learningphysics said:
not quite... how did you get that?

i don't know...i don't know how to set the three equations equals to one another...

polymerase said:
i don't know...i don't know how to set the three equations equals to one another...

we'll start with this one:

[tex]F_x = \frac{mv_{xf} - mv_{xi}}{(\Delta t)}[/tex]

write vxf in terms vf and thetaf... write vxi in terms of vi and thetai... vf is the magnitude of the final velocity... vi is the magnitude of the initial velocity. vxf = -vfsin(thetaf) (because it is going towards the left)

[tex]F_x = \frac{-mv_{f}sin(\theta_{f}) - mv_{i}sin(\theta_{i})}{(\Delta t)}[/tex] (1)

KEfinal = KEinitial

(1/2)mvf^2 = (1/2)mvi^2

gives

vf = vi.

next equation:

[tex]0 = mv_{yf} - mv_{yi}[/tex]

so

[tex]0 = v_{yf} - v_{yi}[/tex]

[tex]v_{yf} = v_{yi}[/tex]

[tex]v_fcos(\theta_f) = v_icos(\theta_i)[/tex]

using vf = vi from the kinetic energy conservation equation, we get:

[tex]v_icos(\theta_i) = v_icos(\theta_i)[/tex]

[tex]cos(\theta_f) = cos(\theta_i)[/tex]

hence [tex]\theta_f = \theta_i[/tex]

So the point of all this was to show that vf = vi and [tex]\theta_f = \theta_i[/tex]

what do you get when you plug these 2 into (1)

learningphysics said:
we'll start with this one:

[tex]F_x = \frac{mv_{xf} - mv_{xi}}{(\Delta t)}[/tex]

write vxf in terms vf and thetaf... write vxi in terms of vi and thetai... vf is the magnitude of the final velocity... vi is the magnitude of the initial velocity. vxf = -vfsin(thetaf) (because it is going towards the left)

[tex]F_x = \frac{-mv_{f}sin(\theta_{f}) - mv_{i}sin(\theta_{i})}{(\Delta t)}[/tex] (1)

KEfinal = KEinitial

(1/2)mvf^2 = (1/2)mvi^2

gives

vf = vi.

next equation:

[tex]0 = mv_{yf} - mv_{yi}[/tex]

so

[tex]0 = v_{yf} - v_{yi}[/tex]

[tex]v_{yf} = v_{yi}[/tex]

[tex]v_fcos(\theta_f) = v_icos(\theta_i)[/tex]

using vf = vi from the kinetic energy conservation equation, we get:

[tex]v_icos(\theta_i) = v_icos(\theta_i)[/tex]

[tex]cos(\theta_f) = cos(\theta_i)[/tex]

hence [tex]\theta_f = \theta_i[/tex]

So the point of all this was to show that vf = vi and [tex]\theta_f = \theta_i[/tex]

what do you get when you plug these 2 into (1)

So...final answer is F = [tex]\frac{-2msin\theta_{i}v_{i}}{(\Delta t)}[/tex] ?

Last edited:
Yes, but since they only want the magnitude you'd leave off the minus in the final answer.

learningphysics said:
Yes, but since they only want the magnitude you'd leave off the minus in the final answer.

thanks you thank you thank you

1. What is impulse?

Impulse is the product of the average force applied to an object and the time period over which it acts. It is a measure of the change in momentum of an object.

2. How is impulse related to average force?

Impulse and average force are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the average force increases, the impulse also increases.

3. How does the mass of the ball affect the impulse and average force?

The mass of the ball does not directly affect the impulse and average force. However, a larger mass may require a larger force to achieve the same impulse as a smaller mass.

4. Is the impulse and average force of a ball the same as its impact force?

No, the impact force of a ball is the force it exerts on an object upon collision. This force can be much greater than the average force or impulse of the ball, as it also takes into account the velocity and duration of the collision.

5. How can the impulse and average force of a ball be calculated?

The impulse of a ball can be calculated by multiplying the average force applied to the ball by the time over which it acts. The average force can be determined by dividing the change in momentum of the ball by the time it takes to change its momentum.