Gauss's Law/Energy Problem with Concentric Spheres

• Thread starter asiangrrl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spheres
In summary, the electric field inside the inner sphere is zero, while the field outside the inner sphere is Q/(a^2). The field between the inner and outer spheres is Q/(a^2)+Q/b^2. The field is Q/r^2.
asiangrrl
Hi there. I'm new to PF, so please correct me on any mistakes in presenting my question. I'm just hoping to get some direction in doing this problem right.

Homework Statement

Concentric spherical shells of radius a and b, with b > a, carry charge Q and -Q, repsectively, each charge uniformly distributed. Find the energy stored in the electric field of this system.
(From Purcell, Electricity and Magnetism, 2nd Ed. [I hate this book :yuck:])

Homework Equations

From Gauss's Law (for a sphere)
E= [tex] Q/r^2 [/tex]

U = [tex] \frac{1}{8\pi} \int_{Entire field} E^2 dv[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I just have to sum up the E field and integrate over the volume of the entire sphere (or rather wherever the field is non-zero?) and that the E field will end up being a constant (or am I completely wrong?)

E inside inner sphere = 0 (field is zero inside spherical shell of charge)
E outside inner sphere = [tex]Q/(a^2)[/tex]
E inside outer sphere = [tex]-Q/b^2 + Q/a^2[/tex] (This one is the one I'm really unsure on)
E outside outer sphere = 0 (total charge is [tex]Q+(-Q) = 0[/tex])

And then do I integrate the E field squared in spherical coordinates from a to b? (As I end up with it as a constant I feel like I'm doing something wrong.)
Any help is greatly appreciated (I'm awful at E&M).

edit: Forgot to mention this is all in cgs units, not mks/si.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm confused... there are 30 concentric spherical shells? or just 2? (one at a and one at b?)

for a sphere... the field is [tex]E = \frac{Q}{4\pi \epsilon_0 r^2}[/tex]

And energy is [tex]\frac{\epsilon_0}{2}\int E^2dv[/tex]

Ah sorry about that, 1.30 is just the problem number. Just 2 concentric spherical sehlls.

I "ignored" the constants because I (or rather this book) uses cgs units instead of MKS or SI units.

asiangrrl said:
Ah sorry about that, 1.30 is just the problem number. Just 2 concentric spherical sehlls.

I "ignored" the constants because I (or rather this book) uses cgs units instead of MKS or SI units.

oh I see... sorry about that.

In your work you said "E inside outer sphere" and "E outside inner sphere"... they both the same right? The field would just be Q/r^2 between the two shells as far as I can see... just using gauss' law and the charge of the inner shell...

The field outside the outer sphere and inside the inner sphere are both 0 (both using gauss' law)...

So you'd integrate [tex] \frac{1}{8\pi} \int_{Entire field} E^2 dv[/tex]

from a to b... with E being Q/r^2

Thanks so much. Now I just have to remember how to integrate a sphere haha. Just to confirm, I think my integral will look like this? I need to retake vector calculus :blushing:

[tex]E=\frac{-Q}{r^2}, E^2=\frac{Q^2}{r^4}[/tex]
[tex]U = \frac{1}{8\pi}\int \frac{Q^2}{r^4}dV, dV=r^2sin\phi dr d\phi d\theta[/tex]
[tex]U = \frac{1}{8\pi}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi}\int_{a}^{b} \frac{Q^2}{r^2} sin\phi dr d\phi d\theta[/tex]

Looks right to me. you can integrate over dtheta and dphi... and your left with an integral over r.

You can also use dV = [tex]4\pi r^2 dr[/tex] which is The area of a spherical shell times dr... (same thing as what you have just a quicker method to look at it).

Why did you use -Q/r^2 instead of Q/r^2 (it doesn't make a difference, but just wondering... since the inner sphere is radius a with charge Q)?

learningphysics said:
You can also use dV = [tex]4\pi r^2 dr[/tex] which is The area of a spherical shell times dr... (same thing as what you have just a quicker method to look at it).

Why did you use -Q/r^2 instead of Q/r^2 (it doesn't make a difference, but just wondering... since the inner sphere is radius a with charge Q)?

Ohhh thank you for that. So [tex]U = \frac{1}{2} \int_{a}^{b} \frac{Q^2}{r^2}dr [/tex] I think.

Yes, I know it doesn't make a difference in the end, but if it did, it is over the negative charge between the two spheres, right? Since inner sphere has charge Q and between inner and outer sphere the charge is -Q.

Last edited:
Your expression for U looks good to me.

For the field being Q/r^2 instead of -Q/r^2

Well, when you use gauss' law to find the field between the two spheres... you use a gaussian surface (a sphere)...

Gauss' law says that [tex]\int E\cdot dA = 4 \pi Q_{enclosed}[/tex]

So what is the charge enclosed in a gaussian sphere between the two given spheres... it is the charge of the inner sphere...

So field is Q/r^2 (not -Q/r^2).

I might be making a mistake... let me know if this makes sense.

Hmmm okay, I think that makes sense. Thanks again for all your help!

1. What is Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the relationship between electric charges and the electric field they create. It states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the net charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space.

2. What is the Energy Problem with Concentric Spheres?

The Energy Problem with Concentric Spheres is a theoretical problem that involves calculating the electric potential and electric field between two concentric conducting spheres with different radii and charges. This problem is commonly used to demonstrate the application of Gauss's Law.

3. How do you solve the Energy Problem with Concentric Spheres?

To solve the Energy Problem with Concentric Spheres, you can use Gauss's Law to calculate the electric field between the spheres. Then, you can use the relationship between electric potential and electric field to find the electric potential at different points between the spheres.

4. What is the significance of the Energy Problem with Concentric Spheres?

The Energy Problem with Concentric Spheres is significant because it demonstrates the application of Gauss's Law in calculating the electric field and potential between two charged objects. This problem is also useful in understanding the concept of electric potential and how it varies in different regions of space.

5. What are the assumptions made in solving the Energy Problem with Concentric Spheres?

There are a few assumptions made in solving the Energy Problem with Concentric Spheres, including: both spheres are perfect conductors, there is no external electric field, and the charge distribution on the spheres is uniform. These assumptions help simplify the problem and make it easier to solve using Gauss's Law.