Any Decent Books to Understand Mathematics of Physics?

In summary, there are many helpful books available for those interested in learning math and related concepts, even if they are not already well-versed in calculus. These books provide step-by-step instruction and cover both the mathematics and theory behind various topics.
Liger20
Hey, let me begin by saying that I love science. I have always loved science. But to be prefectly honest, math has never been one of my strong subjects. It's not that I'm bad at math, I can understand most math concepts when given enough time to study them, but all of my math courses go by at 200 MPH and I never get much time to study the material. I come onto this forum and I see people speaking in foreign tounges of tensors and algorithms and I think it would be kind of cool to learn some of that stuff. Anyway, here's my question: are there any good books out there that can help you learn this step by step and that don't assume that you're already an AP Calculus student? I would like to be able to have a book that effectively describes not only the mathematics, but the theory as well.

-Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, there are some great books out there that can help you learn math and related concepts step by step without assuming you're already an AP Calculus student. The following books are highly recommended:1) "Calculus for Dummies" by Mark Ryan2) "Beginning Algebra" by Elayn Martin-Gay3) "A Primer on Scientific Programming with Python" by Hans Petter Langtangen 4) "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler5) "Essential Mathematics for the Computer Science Student" by Robert Daverman and Richard Wheeden

Hi there! I can definitely understand your struggle with math. It can be a challenging subject, but it's also incredibly important for understanding and applying concepts in physics.
Fortunately, there are many great books out there that can help you understand the mathematics of physics without assuming you are already an AP Calculus student. Here are a few suggestions:

1. "Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering" by K.F. Riley, M.P. Hobson, and S.J. Bence - This book covers a wide range of mathematical topics relevant to physics, from basic algebra and calculus to more advanced topics like vector calculus and differential equations. It also includes numerous examples and exercises to help you practice and apply the concepts.

2. "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas - This book is another great resource for learning the mathematical foundations of physics. It covers topics such as complex numbers, linear algebra, and Fourier analysis, and also includes many worked examples and practice problems.

3. "A Student's Guide to Vectors and Tensors" by Daniel Fleisch - If you're looking to learn about tensors, this book is a great place to start. It explains the concepts in a clear and accessible manner, with plenty of examples and exercises to reinforce your understanding.

4. "Mathematical Tools for Physics" by James Nearing - This book is specifically geared towards students who are new to physics and math, so it's a great choice for beginners. It covers a variety of mathematical topics relevant to physics, and also includes helpful study tips and practice problems.

I hope these suggestions are helpful to you in your quest to understand the mathematics of physics. Remember, practice and persistence are key in mastering any subject, so don't be discouraged if it takes some time to fully grasp these concepts. Keep studying and don't hesitate to seek out additional resources or ask for help when needed. Good luck!

1. What are some good books to understand the mathematics of physics?

Some highly recommended books for understanding the mathematics of physics include "Mathematical Methods for Physicists" by George Arfken and Hans Weber, "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas, and "Mathematical Tools for Physics" by James Nearing.

2. Are there any books that specifically focus on the mathematics used in quantum mechanics?

Yes, "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili and "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths are two books that specifically cover the mathematics used in quantum mechanics.

3. Are there any books that explain the mathematics of general relativity?

Yes, "Spacetime and Geometry: An Introduction to General Relativity" by Sean Carroll and "General Relativity: An Introduction for Physicists" by M.P. Hobson, G.P. Efstathiou, and A.N. Lasenby are two highly recommended books for understanding the mathematics of general relativity.

4. Are there any books that cover both mathematics and physics in a single volume?

Yes, there are a few books that cover both mathematics and physics in a single volume, such as "Mathematical Physics: A Modern Introduction to Its Foundations" by Sadri Hassani and "Mathematics for Physicists" by Susan M. Lea.

5. Are there any online resources or tutorials for understanding the mathematics of physics?

Yes, there are many online resources and tutorials available for understanding the mathematics of physics. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera. Additionally, many universities offer online lectures and course materials for free on their websites.