Obtaining an REU Position: Requirements & Benefits

In summary, obtaining an REU position is not guaranteed and it is recommended to apply to multiple programs. These positions are available at various universities and can offer benefits such as travel subsidies. A list of all NSF-funded REUs can be found on their website.
Helical
How difficult is it to obtain an REU position, do you need to be at the top of your class? How far into your degree must you be?

Here's an example of what I'm talking about: http://www.physics.wsu.edu/reu.htm [Broken]

Do all REU positions have such good 'benifits'?

EDIT: Also does anyone know of a site that lists REU positions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Laura1013 said:
I've never applied for one, but my understanding is that it's not difficult to get accepted.

I STRONGLY disagree. Last summer I applied to 12 programs and was accepted into only one of them. I have a very good GPA in my major (>3.9), and had good letters. Of course, I was only a sophomore with no research experience, but even for juniors, it's tough, but not impossible.

Apply early and apply to as many as you can. (There is no application fee for these.) Also, don't limit yourself too much in area. The farther you are willing to go from home, the more possible programs you have to apply to. Remember that many of these programs will subsidize travel to some extent if it is needed. Good luck, Hellical!

G01, were the universities you applied to pretty prostegious?

Helical said:
G01, were the universities you applied to pretty prostegious?

They were not crappy schools, but they were not all Ivy League either. I applied to MIT, but I assumed I wasn't getting in there!:rolleyes:

I also applied to Bucknell University (PA), Lehigh University (PA), University of Indiana, University of Rochester, Boston University, among others.

1. What is an REU position?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) position is a program funded by the National Science Foundation that provides undergraduate students with the opportunity to participate in research projects at universities or research institutions.

2. What are the requirements for obtaining an REU position?

The specific requirements for an REU position may vary depending on the program, but in general, students must be enrolled in an undergraduate program and have a strong academic record in relevant coursework. They may also need to have completed certain prerequisite courses or have relevant research experience.

3. How can I find REU positions?

You can find REU positions by searching online databases, such as the National Science Foundation's REU program listings, or by contacting faculty members at universities or institutions that offer research in your field of interest. Your university's career center or department may also have information about REU opportunities.

4. What are the benefits of participating in an REU program?

Participating in an REU program can provide valuable research experience, enhance your academic and professional skills, and expand your network in the scientific community. It can also be a great opportunity to explore a potential career path and gain insight into graduate school.

5. Can international students apply for REU positions?

Some REU programs may accept international students, but it ultimately depends on the specific program and its funding restrictions. It is important to check the eligibility requirements for each program before applying. Additionally, international students may need to secure appropriate visas and work authorization before participating in an REU program.