Expressing force in terms of weight

In summary, the maximum acceleration during a car crash should not exceed 60g and should last for no more than 36 ms according to safety standards for air bags. To find the force exerted on an 89.0kg person, the formula F=m*a can be used. The resulting force is 5.23 x 10^4, but it is unclear what is meant by expressing the force in terms of the person's weight. It can be simplified to a multiple of the person's weight, which would be 60g.
MissKaylaPaige

Homework Statement

According to safety standard for air bags, the maximum acceleration during a car crash should not exceed 60g and should last for no more than 36 ms .In such a case, what force does the air bag exert on a 89.0kg person?

The Answer is 5.23 x10^4

Now what I need to do is express this force in terms of the person's weight.

Homework Equations

F=m*a

The Attempt at a Solution

(5.23 x 10^4)/(60 x 9.8)

this is what I thought made sense but it appeared to be incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
All you need to do for this it seems is find the force when an 89Kg person accelerates at 60g. You have given the formula you need to use. I'm not sure what you mean by expressing the force in terms of their weight.

Well I already found the force but my homework told me to express it in terms of the persons weight. I honestly have no idea what that means...I hoped somebody here would?

The persin weighs 'mg' Newtons and the force is '60mg' Newtons. So what is the force in terms of the weight?

Well the person's weight is given by mg, thus I assume they want the the force in a multiple of the persons weight.

i.e. 5.23 x 104 = a x mg

If you work algebraically you'll see that the mass and the acceleration due to gravity just cancel out and leave you with a familiar number.

1. What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects. It is measured in Newtons (N) and is represented by the symbol F.

2. How is force related to weight?

Force and weight are often used interchangeably, but they are not exactly the same. Weight is a measure of the gravitational force acting on an object, while force is a measure of the overall push or pull on an object. Weight is typically expressed in units of mass (such as kilograms) multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

3. How do you express force in terms of weight?

To express force in terms of weight, you can use the formula F = mg, where m is the mass of the object and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula shows that force is directly proportional to weight, meaning that as weight increases, so does force.

4. Can force and weight be negative?

Yes, both force and weight can be negative. Negative force indicates a pull or tension, while negative weight indicates a downward force due to gravity. It is important to pay attention to the direction of the force and weight vectors when working with negative values.

5. How is force in terms of weight used in real life?

Expressing force in terms of weight is commonly used in everyday situations, such as lifting objects, pushing or pulling objects, or calculating the weight of an object. It is also important in fields like physics and engineering, where understanding the relationship between weight and force is crucial in designing structures and predicting their behavior.