How Do You Graph a Reflection of a Function on the Same Set of Axes?

• Thread starter HelloMotto
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the problem involves finding the equations for -f(x) and f(-x) given f(x)= square root of x - 4, graphing these three equations on the same set of axes, and determining any points that are invariant for each reflection. The equations for -f(x) and f(-x) are -square root of x + 4 and square root of -x - 4, respectively. The graph of f(-x) is a reflection of the graph of f(x) in the y-axis, and the domain of f(-x) depends on the domain of f(x).
HelloMotto

Homework Statement

Given f(x)= square root of x - 4, write the equation for -f(x) and f(-x).
Sketch the three graphs on the same set of axes
Determine any points that are invariant for each reflection

The Attempt at a Solution

well basically I did the first part of the question and the result i got was
-f(x) = -square root of X + 4
f(-x) = square root of -x -4

the second part where it asks to graph these 3 equations, I've graphed the f(x) equation and the -f(x) equation but I can't graph the f(-x) equation. Simply because i get an error when i try to square root a negative number. So how would i graph this kind of eqation?

Physics news on Phys.org
...-f(x) is a reflection in the x-axis
and f(-x) is a reflection in the y-axis

Do mean f(x)= sqrt(x+ 4) or f(x)= sqrt(x)+ 4?
If the first, the domain of f is [itex]x+4\ge 0[/itex] or [itex]x \ge -4[/itex] and f(-x) = sqrt(-x+ 4) has domain [itex]-x+4\ge 0[/itex] or [itex]x\le 4[/itex]

If the second, the domain of f is [itex]x\ge 0[/itex] and f(-x)= sqrt(-x)+ 4 has domain [itex]x\le 0[/itex].

You have to take values of x in the correct domain in order to graph f(-x). In any case, rock.freak667 is correct: the graph of f(-x) is the refection of the graph of f(x) in the y-axis.

1. What is a reflection of a function?

A reflection of a function is a transformation that flips the graph of the function over a designated line, known as the line of reflection. This results in a mirror image of the original function.

2. How do you determine the line of reflection for a function?

The line of reflection for a function is typically given by the equation x = a, where a is a constant. This means that all points on the graph of the function will be reflected over the vertical line at x = a.

3. What is the difference between a reflection over the x-axis and a reflection over the y-axis?

A reflection over the x-axis flips the graph of the function over the x-axis, while a reflection over the y-axis flips the graph over the y-axis. This results in different mirror images of the original function.

4. Can a function be reflected over a line other than the x-axis or y-axis?

Yes, a function can be reflected over any line, as long as the line is specified by an equation. This includes lines that are not parallel to the x-axis or y-axis.

5. What is the relationship between a function and its reflection?

A reflection of a function is essentially the same function, but with a different orientation. This means that the domain and range of the function remain the same, but the graph is flipped over the line of reflection.