Finding the Net Force on a Box on an Inclined Plane

In summary, the conversation discusses a box of mass, m, on an inclined plane with a coefficient of kinetic friction, uk, and its acceleration. The net force on the body is determined to be the difference between the component of gravity and the kinetic friction, which is mg (sin q - uk cos q). The conversation also confirms this solution and acknowledges the simplicity of the question.
chiurox

Homework Statement

A box of mass, m, is on a plane inclined at an angle, q, relative to the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the incline is uk, and the body is accelerating down the incline. What is the net force on the body?

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, if the box is accelerating down the incline, the mg(sinTheta) vector of the box must be greater than the Ffriction. But I don't know how to go from there.
I'm guessing it's mg (sin q - uk cos q) but I'm not sure. Could anything clarify for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
No need to guess--you're correct. There are only two forces on the box parallel to the incline: the component of gravity and the kinetic friction.

Doc Al said:
No need to guess--you're correct. There are only two forces on the box parallel to the incline: the component of gravity and the kinetic friction.

Yeah, I just realized now how easy this question is. Thanks for confirming.

1. What is the definition of net force?

The net force is the sum of all forces acting on an object. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of each force.

2. How is the net force calculated on a box on an inclined plane?

The net force on a box on an inclined plane can be calculated using the formula Fnet = mg sinθ, where Fnet is the net force, m is the mass of the box, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the incline.

3. What factors affect the net force on a box on an inclined plane?

The net force on a box on an inclined plane is affected by the mass of the box, the angle of the incline, and the force of gravity.

4. How does the net force on a box on an inclined plane affect its motion?

The net force on a box on an inclined plane determines the acceleration of the box. If the net force is greater than zero, the box will accelerate down the incline. If the net force is zero, the box will maintain a constant velocity. If the net force is less than zero, the box will decelerate up the incline.

5. Can the net force on a box on an inclined plane ever be zero?

Yes, the net force on a box on an inclined plane can be zero if the angle of the incline and the force of gravity are perfectly balanced, or if the box is at rest and there are no external forces acting on it.