Well-Ordering formulation correct?

• Thread starter andytoh
  • Start date
In summary, the well-ordering principle is a fundamental concept in mathematics that states every non-empty set of positive integers has a least element. It is often used as a form of induction in mathematical proofs and can be extended to other well-ordered sets besides positive integers. The well-ordering principle is important in mathematics as it allows for the proof of many fundamental theorems and serves as a basis for mathematical induction. It can be considered both an axiom and a theorem in mathematics.
andytoh
I looked for the most generalized lexicographical (dictionary) order on an arbitrary cartesian product in textbooks but I could not find it. So I posed my own theorem (in the form of a proof question). Is the formulation correct?

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/5022/questionkk4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's my proof. Could someone versed in set theory check if my proof is correct? I cannot find the proof in any textbook:

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/5948/solutionbh8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the well-ordering principle?

The well-ordering principle states that every non-empty set of positive integers has a least element. In other words, any set of positive integers can be arranged in a sequence such that the first element is the smallest, the second element is the next smallest, and so on.

2. How does the well-ordering principle relate to mathematical proofs?

The well-ordering principle is often used in mathematical proofs as a form of induction. It allows us to prove statements about all positive integers by showing that the statement holds for the smallest positive integer and then showing that if it holds for a particular integer, it also holds for the next integer.

3. Can the well-ordering principle be extended to other sets besides positive integers?

Yes, the well-ordering principle can be extended to other well-ordered sets, such as the set of positive real numbers. However, it cannot be extended to all sets, as there are some sets that do not have a well-defined order.

4. Why is the well-ordering principle important in mathematics?

The well-ordering principle is important in mathematics because it allows us to prove many fundamental theorems, such as the fundamental theorem of arithmetic and the existence of the decimal expansion for real numbers. It also provides a basis for mathematical induction, which is a powerful tool for proving statements about integers.

5. Is the well-ordering principle a theorem or an axiom?

The well-ordering principle is often considered an axiom, as it is not derived from other axioms or theorems. However, it can also be proven from other axioms, such as the axiom of choice. In this sense, it can be considered both an axiom and a theorem.