Group Theory Question: The Symmetry of Right and Left Multiplication in Groups

In summary, the conversation is discussing whether right and left multiplication by a given element in a group is a homomorphism. It is concluded that in general, neither is a homomorphism and only a select few elements can result in the identity when multiplied. The conversation then shifts to discussing Cayley's Theorem and proving it by defining a permutation of the group elements. It is noted that the definition of the permutation can be either g_i*g or g*g_i, but it is important to be consistent in order to have a homomorphism. It is then clarified that the terms "morphism" and "homomorphism" are interchangeable.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

If G is a group, is it true that right multiplication by a given element is a homomorphism but left multiplication is not? That does not really make sense to me because aren't right and left multiplication "symmetric"?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
In general neither is a homomorphism.

Note to be a homomorphism, it needs to map the identity to the identity. Only a select few elements can multiply with the identity and give the identity back

I think I asked the wrong question.
Let G = {g_1, ..., g_n} be a group. Let X be a graph with vertices {g_1, ..., g_n}. Let [tex] \alpha_{g}[/tex] be the permutation of the vertices defined by [tex] \alpha_{g}(g_i) = g_i*g [/tex]

Given a bijection between the elements of G and the elements of the group of \alpha_g, I want to show that the group of \alpha_{g} and G are isomorphic.

So, let [tex] h(g_i) = \alpha_{g_i} [/tex].

h is not a homomorphism, correct?

does anyone understand this question?

The group of alpha_g? I assume you mean the subgroup of [tex]S_G[/tex] obtained from the map h you defined lastly?

If so, then that's just Cayley's theorem.

In Cayley's theorem, we show that every group G is isomorphic to a subgroup of [tex]S_G[/tex] (the group of permutation of G.)

To do this, we show that the map [tex]h:G\rightarrow S_G[/tex] defined as you did is a monomorphism. Then the restriction of its codomain to h(G) is an isomorphism.

quasar987 said:
The group of alpha_g? I assume you mean the subgroup of [tex]S_G[/tex] obtained from the map h you defined lastly?
The group I speak of is [tex]\{\alpha_{g} : g \in G\}[/tex] under composition of functions.

quasar987 said:
If so, then that's just Cayley's theorem.

I didn't realize that but you're right. So my question really is then, to prove Cayley's Theorem can you define [tex] \alpha_{g}(g_i) = g_i*g [/tex] or do you need to define
[tex] \alpha_{g}(g_i) = g*g_i [/tex]?

I think that we need the latter, but I'm afraid I am making a stupid mistake.

IT works either way. As you said, it's "symetric"

1° For all g, [tex] \alpha_{g}(g_i) = g_i*g [/tex] defines a permutation of G, because 1) if g1*g=g2*g, then discover that g1=g2 by multiplying by g^-1 from the right. That's injectivity. 2) let g' be in G, then [tex]g_i=g'*g^{-1}[/tex] is sent to g' by [tex] \alpha_{g}[/tex]. That's surjectivity.

2° Show h is an homomorphism. That's routine.

3° Let g be in Ker(h). Then [tex]\alpha_{g}=id_G[/tex]. So for any g' in G, g'*g=g'. This can only be so if g=1. Hence the kernel is trivial, hence h is a monomorphism.

Funny!

2° [tex]h(g*g')(g_i)=\alpha_{g*g'}(g_i)=g_i*(g*g')=(g_i*g)*g'=\alpha_{g'}(g_i*g)=\alpha_{g'}(\alpha_{g}(g_i))=(\alpha_{g'}\circ \alpha_{g})(g_i)=[h(g')\circ h(g)](g_i)[/tex]

so it seems you were right in worrying! It's not a morphism if we multiply from the right!

quasar987 said:
IT works either way. As you said, it's "symetric"
2° Show h is an homomorphism. That's routine.

I claim that h is not a homomorphism in this case:

[tex] \alpha_{g_1*g_2}(g_i) = g_i*g_1*g_2 [/tex]
but
[tex] \alpha_{g_1}\circ \alpha_{g_2}(g_i) = \alpha_{g_1}(\alpha_{g_2}(g_i)) = g_i*g_2*g_1[/tex]

EDIT: you beat me

Last edited:
It works if we define [tex]\alpha_g[/tex] to act on gi by multiplication from the right by the inverse of g instead:

[tex]\alpha_g(g_i)=g_ig^{-1}[/tex].

Because now

[tex]\alpha_{g*g'}(g_i)=g_i(g*g')^{-1}=g_ig'^{-1}g^{-1}=(\alpha_{g}\circ\alpha_{g'})(g_i)[/tex].

Last edited:
ehrenfest said:
You mean its not a homomorphism, right?

Yes, morphism and homomorphism are interchangeable terms.

quasar987 said:
Yes, morphism and homomorphism are interchangeable terms.

I just realized that and deleted the post. But thanks. Everything is clear now.

1. What is group theory?

Group theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the algebraic structures known as groups. A group is a set of elements with a binary operation (usually denoted by *) that follows certain properties, such as closure, associativity, identity, and inverse. Group theory is used to study symmetry and patterns in various mathematical and scientific contexts.

2. What is the symmetry of right and left multiplication in groups?

The symmetry of right and left multiplication in groups refers to the fact that for any element a in a group G, the left and right multiplication of a by any other element b in G will result in the same element. In other words, a * b = b * a for all a, b in G. This property is known as commutativity and is a characteristic of abelian groups.

3. What is the significance of symmetry in group theory?

Symmetry is a fundamental concept in group theory and plays a crucial role in understanding the structure and properties of groups. Symmetry allows us to identify patterns and relationships between elements in a group and can be used to simplify difficult problems and proofs. It also has practical applications in fields such as chemistry, physics, and cryptography.

4. Can a group have both symmetric and asymmetric elements?

Yes, a group can have both symmetric and asymmetric elements. A symmetric element is one that follows the commutativity property, while an asymmetric element does not. This means that in a group, some elements may commute with each other while others may not. It is also possible for a group to be entirely symmetric or entirely asymmetric.

5. How is group theory applied in real-world situations?

Group theory has many practical applications in areas such as physics, chemistry, cryptography, and computer science. For example, it is used to study the symmetries of molecules in chemistry, to understand the behavior of particles in physics, and to design secure encryption algorithms in computer science. Group theory also has applications in music theory, art, and other fields that involve symmetry and patterns.