Etiquette for referencing PF in a publication

• Thread starter EnumaElish
  • Start date
In summary, citing assistance or advice from a public forum such as PF in a scientific paper or article is not a common practice. However, if the individuals on the forum helped develop ideas that significantly improved the work, they can be acknowledged in the acknowledgments section. It is recommended to contact them and ask how they would like to be acknowledged, as they may prefer to remain anonymous. PF is not a source of ideas, but rather a means of communication.
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Is it common practice to reference the assistance or advice received from a public forum such as PF in response to a question, if the advice led to betterment or refinement of a scientific paper or article?

If it is, what would be the format?

Physics news on Phys.org
We aren't really a primary source of information to cite, but to cite a website, you'd want to include the name of the site, the URL of the page you are referring to, and the date it was accessed. It's also a good idea to print out what the page looked like at the time you cited it, in case it changes.

However, from what you're describing, it sounds less like you really want to cite PF, and more that the individuals you had a discussion with helped you develop your ideas. In that case, if it really made a difference to your work with ideas you would not have otherwise thought of on your own, including those individuals in the acknowledgments section would be most appropriate. I would recommend contacting them by PM and letting them know you would like to acknowledge them and ask how to do so (they may prefer to remain anonymous and pass on the acknowledgment, in which case, you are no longer obligated to mention their assistance, or they may share their real names to be included). In such a case, you need not cite PF at all...we're just the means for your communication, not the source of the ideas themselves.

1. What is the proper way to reference a PF (personal communication) in a publication?

The proper way to reference a PF in a publication is to include the person's name, the date of the communication, and the context of the communication. For example: (J. Smith, personal communication, May 20, 2021).

2. Can I use a PF as a source for my publication?

No, a PF should not be used as a source for a publication as it is considered a personal communication and does not have the same level of credibility as a published source.

3. Do I need to get permission from the person before referencing them as a PF in my publication?

Yes, it is important to get permission from the person before referencing them as a PF in your publication. This shows respect for their privacy and ensures that they are comfortable with being included in your work.

4. How do I format a PF in a reference list?

A PF should not be included in a reference list as it is not a published source. However, if you need to include the information for your own records, you can format it as follows: Author's Last Name, Initial. (Year, Month Day). Title of communication [Personal communication].

5. Are there any specific guidelines for referencing a PF?

There are no specific guidelines for referencing a PF, but it is important to follow the general rules of proper citation and to include enough information for the reader to understand the context of the communication. Additionally, it is important to obtain permission from the person and to use the information ethically and accurately in your publication.