PF Staff Changes: Tom Mattson & Nereid Return, Loseyouname & MathIsHard Retire

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: I'm glad to see both MIH and LYN are retiring. They have both been a great help to the forum. I'm going to miss them.
Tom Mattson and Nereid have come out of retirement to rejoin the PF staff! :)

On the other hand both Loseyouname and MathIsHard have decided to retire. Applause for their time and efforts! :(

Physics news on Phys.org
YAY for Neried and Tom! WOOT!

Throw the net over MIH! She can't go. :cry:

MIH and LYN? We done run outta philosophizers!

As for me, it's great to be back in green. My absence was largely due to my return to grad school. I kept meaning to check in, but weeks turn into months so fast when you're turning in 30 pages of homework each week and holding down a teaching job. :eek: The time just slipped away. Anyway, there won't be any extended absences from PF in my future.

I'm also very glad to hear that Nereid is back. :approve: I used to lurk over at BAUT to watch her work. She absolutely personifies "moderator". Seeing her over there made me kind of jealous, actually. It's one thing to lose a Mentor to work or school, but it's quite another to lose one to another science forum! :mad::wink:

Tom and Nereid came back simultaneously?! What are the chances of that? Answer: 1,076,271:1 against Welcome back, you two! We've missed you!

And LYN and MIH will be missed -- who else can fill their acryonymic shoes? Thanks to you both so much for your help!

- Warren

Welcome back, Tom! And Nereid! Wow!

Sorry to see LYN & MIH go. You'll both be missed.

Hooray for the return of Tom and Nereid! Welcome back! You've both been sorely missed.

Sorry that we have to lose MIH and LYN though. :frown: The philosophy forum really seems to scare away mentors. :uhh:

Welcome back Tom and Nereid!

Sorry to see MIH and LYN leaving, but we'll keep a light on.

Welcome back Tom and Nereid! This is great news.

MIH, maybe when your work load is reduced we can have you back?

Her load's reduced, I want her back, now. She's our only philosophizer!

Damn I should read the feedback before posting elsewhere. Welcome back Tom and Nereid. Very sorry to see MIH not in green but if her commitments need to take her elsewhere then we can't complain and only wish her the very best of luck. I didn't come into contact with loseyourname very much but from what I saw and heard then we have lost another great mentor.

I'm going to miss MIH...

Glad to see the others back, hasn't been the same without them.

As far as I know, MIH isn't leaving us completely, she has just stepped down from mentoring due to other obligations she needs to focus on (i.e., finishing up her final semester). When she's all graduated, maybe we can rope her back into mentoring. :biggrin:

I still think MIH should remain as a Mentor, even if she has to be absent for an extended period of time. Even in her current capacity, with her busy schedule, she still manages to zap away a few spammers all over PF.

<grabbing hold of MIH's arm and not letting go>

Zz.

I agree. Why should we let her go that easily?

Wow! Congrats to both!:approve:
Thanks to dear MIH & Loseyourname for their efforts!:smile:
(MIH, you're too oung for retirement! Please stay:cry:)

You folks are so sweet. I am just worried that I will be too busy to do very much for the next seven months. We are on a quarter system here, so I've actually got to get through a winter quarter, spring quarter, and two back-to-back summer sessions! So hard sometimes to keep the profs happy and keep my bosses happy (and the cat, too). I'll probably be begging Greg to come back in August!

Boy, was I happy to hear about Tom and Nereid returning! :cool: They are so amazing, and I agree with others that PF just isn't the same without them.

I don't think I have seen LYN in a month of Sundays. Does anyone know how he's doing? Is he still dating The Swerve?

Last edited:
A belate welcome back Tom and Nereid, just noticed that your green again Tom :biggrin:!

1. Who are Tom Mattson and Nereid and why are they returning to PF staff?

Tom Mattson and Nereid are previous members of the PF staff who have decided to return to their positions. Tom Mattson is an experienced physicist and educator who has been a part of PF since its early days. Nereid is a retired astrophysicist who has been a valuable member of the PF community for many years. They have both decided to come back to PF to continue sharing their knowledge and expertise with others.

2. Why are Loseyouname and MathIsHard retiring from PF?

Loseyouname and MathIsHard have decided to retire from PF for personal reasons. They have been dedicated members of the PF community for a long time, but have decided to step down from their roles as moderators. However, they will still be active members of the PF community and may continue to contribute in other ways.

3. Will there be any changes to the PF community with these staff changes?

There may be some changes as the new staff members adjust to their roles and responsibilities, but overall, the PF community will continue to operate as usual. The new staff members are experienced and knowledgeable and will work together with the existing staff to ensure a smooth transition.

4. How will these staff changes affect the content and discussions on PF?

These staff changes will not have a significant impact on the content and discussions on PF. The new staff members will continue to uphold the same standards and guidelines for discussions and posts on the forum. They will also work to maintain a welcoming and respectful environment for all members.

5. Can members still contact the retired staff members for help or advice?

While Loseyouname and MathIsHard will no longer be active moderators on PF, they will still be members of the community and may still be contacted for help or advice. However, it is recommended to direct any questions or concerns to the current active staff members for a prompt response.