Calculate Density of Star w/ Mass & Radius

In summary, the star has a density that increases from the center to the surface. The average density is 0.4\rho_{c}.
Ayame17
[SOLVED] Density of a star

Homework Statement

For a star of mass M and radius R, the density increases from the centre to the surface as a function of radial distance r, according to

[tex]\rho = \rho_{c}[1-(\frac{r}{R})^2][/tex]

where [tex]\rho_{c}[/tex] is the central density constant.

a) Find M(r).
b) Derive the relation between M and R and show that the average density of the star is [tex]0.4\rho_{c}[/tex].

Homework Equations

See above and below.

The Attempt at a Solution

Right. Firstly, I believe there is a mistake in the question paper - I don't think that the (r/R) is meant to be squared, as I've seen the formula used many times before and it's never had it.
Part a I've done (without the squared bit), and got [tex]M_{r}=\frac{4\pi}{3}\rho_{c}r^3(1-\frac{3r}{4R})[/tex], which I know to be right.
Part b I've done most of, ending up with [tex]\rho_{c}=\frac{3M}{\pi(R^3)}[/tex], which I also know to be right. The bit I'm having trouble with is getting to the [tex]0.4\rho_{c}[/tex]. Can anyone offer any assistance?

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you define average density? Find a formula for that first of all.

Ah, I assumed that the [tex]\rho[/tex] equation given in the problem was for the average density of the star...(this is actually a question to recap last year's work, our lecturer thought it may be a good idea - seems she was right!)
Also, do you know if the (r/R) in the first equation is actually meant to be squared? In all our work last year, it never was, so that's thrown me as well!

that relation is just for calculation, it doesn't follow that 100%, so I don't know.

try both =)

it must be [tex]\rho = \rho_{c}[1-(\frac{r}{R})][/tex]

otherwise:

[tex]M_{r}=\frac{4\pi}{3}\rho_{c}r^3(1-\frac{3r}{4R})[/tex]

cant be right.

Yeah, I figured that must be right.
Been trying with the regular density equations - was looking good. Using [tex]\rho=\frac{M}{V}[/tex] and [tex]V=\frac{4\pi}{3}r^3[/tex], and the equation worked out at the start of part b (after rearranging to get M), I end up with [tex]\rho=\frac{\rho_{c}R^3}{4r^3}[/tex], which certainly looks nicer. However, [tex]\frac{R^3}{4r^3}[/tex] isn't equal to 0.4 - even if we say that 1/r > 1/R so they can basically cancel, I still end up with 0.25. Can't really see where to go!

The worrying thing is, if I use the M calculated by the equation given that I think is wrong, I actually end up with [tex]\rho=0.4\rho_{c}[/tex]...

Ayame17 said:
The worrying thing is, if I use the M calculated by the equation given that I think is wrong, I actually end up with [tex]\rho=0.4\rho_{c}[/tex]...

ok so if [tex]\rho = \rho_{c}[1-(\frac{r}{R})^2][/tex]

then[tex]\rho=0.4\rho_{c}[/tex]?

But then the other two things that you said "i know these are right" are wrong? =)

She's given me exactly the same question before (but without the squared bit and the 0.4 bit), so I assumed she'd make a mistake. She makes them constantly in the lecture handouts.
I'd also assumed that the equation given in the question is a generalised equation for star density, because she never told us whether it was or wasn't...!

Ayame17 said:
She's given me exactly the same question before (but without the squared bit and the 0.4 bit), so I assumed she'd make a mistake. She makes them constantly in the lecture handouts.
I'd also assumed that the equation given in the question is a generalised equation for star density, because she never told us whether it was or wasn't...!

Go and talk to her.

It doesent matter here if [tex]\rho = \rho_{c}[1-(\frac{r}{R})^2][/tex] is reasoanble in real stellar models or not, the important things is that the answers are consistent with the info given in the problem and that you use right formulas etc.

I suspect the [tex]0.4\rho_{c}[/tex] is from a different model entirely. For the linear density model, I agree with your mass function and the average density of [tex]0.25\rho_{c}[/tex]. For the quadratic density model, [tex]\rho = \rho_{c}[1-(\frac{r}{R})^2][/tex] ,

I get a mass function

[tex]M_{r}=\frac{4\pi}{3}\rho_{c}r^3(1-\frac{3r}{2R}+\frac{3r^2}{5R^2})[/tex] ,

yielding an average density of

[tex]0.1\rho_{c}[/tex] .

[In fact, if you "normalize" the mass functions by removing the [tex]\frac{4\pi}{3}\rho_{c}[/tex] factor, set R = 1, and plot the functions (r^3) times the polynomials, you get the cumulative mass, relative to a sphere of radius R with constant density [tex]\rho_{c}[/tex], as a function of the fractional radius out from the center. For the linear model, the value is 0.25 at r/R = 1; for the quadratic model, the value is 0.1 at r/R = 1.]

I seem to recall that there is a density model that gives the "0.4 central density" result, but it isn't one of this form... (I'd have to look it up.)

Last edited:
Ah, it's the quadratic density model...I didn't know that. For that model, I got the mass function:

[tex]M_{r}=\frac{4\pi}{3}\rho_{c}r^3(1-\frac{3r^2}{5R^2})[/tex]

which gives an average density of [tex]0.4\rho_{c}[/tex] which is what she asked for...

Last edited:
Ayame17 said:
Ah, it's the quadratic density model...I didn't know that. For that model, I got the mass function:

which gives an average density of [tex]0.4\rho_{c}[/tex] which is what she asked for...

Great, I only did the linear density model =)

Ayame17 said:

Oops, I misinterpreted the density function as [1 - (r/R)]^2 when I set up the integral. >:/ Good, so that mystery's been resolved... (And the "normalized" mass function does indeed reach 0.4 at (r/R) = 1.)

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for calculating the density of a star with given mass and radius?

The formula for calculating the density of a star is density = mass / (4/3 * π * radius^3). This formula is known as the volume density formula.

2. How do I determine the mass and radius of a star for density calculation?

The mass and radius of a star can be determined through various methods, such as measuring the star's luminosity, temperature, and spectral type. These values can then be used in the density formula to calculate the density of the star.

3. Is the density of a star constant throughout its lifetime?

No, the density of a star changes throughout its lifetime. Initially, a star's density is determined by the amount of matter it formed from. As the star ages and burns through its fuel, the density can change due to changes in the star's size and composition.

4. Can the density of a star affect its brightness?

Yes, a star's density can affect its brightness. The more dense a star is, the more energy it can produce through nuclear fusion, resulting in a brighter star. However, other factors such as temperature and composition also play a role in determining a star's brightness.

5. How does the density of a star compare to Earth's density?

The density of a star varies greatly depending on its size and composition. Some stars, like white dwarfs, can have densities millions of times greater than Earth's. However, other stars, like red giants, can have densities much lower than Earth's.