Calculating Distance of a Falling Tuning Fork using the Doppler Effect

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the distance a tuning fork has fallen when waves of a certain frequency reach the release point. The equations used are the Doppler effect equation and the equations for velocity and distance. The final answer is found to be 18.2 meters, but there may be some discrepancy due to rounding errors.
Potato-chan

Homework Statement

A tuning forking vibrates at 512Hz falls from rest and accelerates at 9.80m/s^2. How far below the point of release is the tuning fork when waves of the frequency 485Hz reach the release point? Take the sound of sound in air to be 340m/s.

Homework Equations

f'=((V+Vo)/(V-Vs))f [doppler effect equ]

Xf=Xi+vt+(1/2)at^2

Vf=Vi+at

The Attempt at a Solution

-Vs = ((V+Vo)f/f')-V

((340+0)512Hz/485)-340

Vs = -18.93 m/s

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The question is asking for the distance the tuning fork has fallen. Have you tried to calculate that yet?

Yeah I have but it give me an outragious answer.

Like what?

So I plug in my found Velocity. into the Vf=Vi+at equation. I know Vi has to be 0 or at least assumed to be. Acceleration is given to me;9.8 m/s^2. and I have the velocity.

Disregarding the sign. 18.93=0+(9.8)t therefore t = 1.93 seconds

Plug that into the distance equation Yf = Yi + vt + .5at^2

Assume Yi = 0

Yf = -18.75

The real answer is suppose to be 19.3

Well, I don't think there's an error in your approach. I did get a slightly different answer than you (18.2 m) and I found the distance by a bit more direct method. Maybe rounding error is involved? I don't know.

1. What is College Physics?

College Physics is a branch of physics that focuses on the study of matter, energy, motion, and the interactions between them. It is typically taken as an introductory course for students pursuing a degree in a science-related field.

2. Why is College Physics important?

College Physics is important because it provides a foundation for understanding the physical world around us. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are valuable in many careers.

3. What topics are covered in College Physics?

Topics covered in College Physics may vary depending on the specific course, but generally include mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, waves and optics, and modern physics.

4. Is College Physics difficult?

This can vary depending on individual strengths and interests, but College Physics can be challenging for some students. It requires a strong foundation in mathematics and problem-solving skills, but with dedication and practice, it can be manageable.

5. How can I succeed in College Physics?

To succeed in College Physics, it is important to attend lectures, take thorough notes, and actively participate in class. Practice problems and seeking help from professors or tutors can also be beneficial. It is also important to have a strong understanding of the underlying concepts and to consistently review and practice the material.