PF Photography: Tips, Tricks, & Photo Sharing

In summary, PF Photography offers valuable tips and tricks for improving photography skills and techniques. They also provide a platform for photo sharing, allowing photographers to showcase their work and receive feedback from others in the community. From beginner tips to advanced techniques, PF Photography has something for every level of photographer. Additionally, their photo sharing feature encourages collaboration and growth among photographers. With a focus on education and community, PF Photography is a valuable resource for anyone looking to improve their photography skills and connect with other photographers.
~christina~ said:
I like the image but it looks like you already spent a great deal of time on it. Was it taken when completely dark? (you said it was taken at night)

The pink sky at night was referring to the saying
"Pink sky at night sailors delight. Pink sky in the morning sailors warning"

The HDR is what is causing one of the problems in this shot. It has caused the weird look(that glowing fringe) to the trees at the border of land and sky. It also makes the texture of the rest of the ground look funny. While HDR can be a handy tool, obviously I have not mastered it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you took pictures with tripod?

larkspur said:
The pink sky at night was referring to the saying
"Pink sky at night sailors delight. Pink sky in the morning sailors warning"

The HDR is what is causing one of the problems in this shot. It has caused the weird look(that glowing fringe) to the trees at the border of land and sky. It also makes the texture of the rest of the ground look funny. While HDR can be a handy tool, obviously I have not mastered it.

Oh. I never heard of that saying.

I think it looks very nice. Not natural but nice nonetheless.

The fringe problem looks like some of the trees moved on the left side of the picture...odd effect.

Borek said:
Did you took pictures with tripod?

~christina~ said:
Oh. I never heard of that saying.

I think it looks very nice. Not natural but nice nonetheless.

The fringe problem looks like some of the trees moved on the left side of the picture...odd effect.

I think you guys figured out the fringe. I did use a tripod but when magnified I can tell there was movement.

Thanks Borek and Christina!

I have tried HRD with pictures made without tripod - just the first step is to find the best fit of both pictures. No idea what soft do you use, but I bet Photoshop - set layer mode to difference and move the layer content, you should be able to locate best position without problem. Most likely Ctrl and cursor keys will be the best, as you may need just a few pixels nudge.

Sorry if these things are obvious to you.

larkspur said:
I think you guys figured out the fringe. I did use a tripod but when magnified I can tell there was movement.

Thanks Borek and Christina!
Sure.

I've seen some amazing HDR images on other sites and I don't know how they do the 3 bracket exposure and get everygthing to fit perfectly. When I tried to do that myself, I found I had wind movement.

~christina~ said:
Sure.

I've seen some amazing HDR images on other sites and I don't know how they do the 3 bracket exposure and get everygthing to fit perfectly. When I tried to do that myself, I found I had wind movement.

If there is something moving in the background, then it will be difficult to bracket 3 exposures and get a proper HDR image.

You can use the method of making 3 exposures out of a RAW image and creating an HDR out of that.

However, if you want things to fit perfectly with stationary situations, then you can just use a monopod or tripod and use exposure bracketing so when you take 3 continuous shots you get the normal/over/under exposure.

A lot of the difficulty behind HDR resides in post-processing the image.

No tripod here:

IMG_2830-HDR1.jpg

I think I can do better HDR out of these pictures, but it is 1 am here and my vision is blurred. Then, it was windy and trees were moving, so no matter how I try it won't be perfect ever.

Last edited:
Borek said:
No tripod here:

I think I can do better HDR out of these pictures, but it is 1 am here and my vision is blurred. Then, it was windy and trees were moving, so no matter how I try it won't be perfect ever.
looks nice Borek!
Is this using Raw or normal image?
BryanP said:
If there is something moving in the background, then it will be difficult to bracket 3 exposures and get a proper HDR image.

You can use the method of making 3 exposures out of a RAW image and creating an HDR out of that.

However, if you want things to fit perfectly with stationary situations, then you can just use a monopod or tripod and use exposure bracketing so when you take 3 continuous shots you get the normal/over/under exposure.

A lot of the difficulty behind HDR resides in post-processing the image.

true, but I would need to get Nikon's capture Nx to convert the raw photos.

I purchased a cheap tripod and it won't close..:uhh:

~christina~ said:
looks nice Borek!
Is this using Raw or normal image?

jpg and thank you.

RAW this time and still no tripod. Slightly better IMHO, although obviously trees are difficult to deal with. It is still obvious where the pictures are connected.

IMG_3072-HDR.jpg

I think I needed that trick here:

ss-hz-sm.JPG

ss-hz2-sm.JPG

Somehow this could be the perfect illustration for the Untergang des Abendlandes

Pictures were made just over an hour ago.

I could have used such tricks with this first picture too. Light overcast sky and metal roof are washed out. This is a picture of my sister's house. No, we Mainers don't all live in log cabins - only the smart ones. :wink:
cabin.jpg

I couldn't let the chance pass to show you the front door:
door.jpg

And a detail of the decorations - twigs, acorns, pine cones, etc.
detail.jpg

Andre said:
I think I needed that trick here:

Somehow this could be the perfect illustration for the Untergang des Abendlandes

Pictures were made just over an hour ago.

WOW that's a nice shot :!) ! Looks like something from a fairy tail!

turbo-1 said:
I could have used such tricks with this first picture too. Light overcast sky and metal roof are washed out. This is a picture of my sister's house. No, we Mainers don't all live in log cabins - only the smart ones. :wink:

And a detail of the decorations - twigs, acorns, pine cones, etc.
detail.jpg

I love it - did she do it herself?

lisab said:
I love it - did she do it herself?
Yep! She and her boyfriend both like to decorate with natural stuff and "found" objects. In the flower garden in front of her deck, there is a treadle-type grinding wheel and an old iron hand-pump, like the one in our grandparents' house.

lisab said:
WOW that's a nice shot :!) ! Looks like something from a fairy tail!

Yes, it's an impressive castle with an incredible rich history going back to the eleventh century.

Burgh Hohenzollern, only about 15 miles from my German residence, root of the main german kings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burg_Hohenzollern

Can't say I am able to do much, but at least I can show that I tried.

Andre.jpg

Unfortunately, there is not much that can be done with the sky/land border. Mostly becasue that border doesn't exist.

Could be one can get better results taking a picture in which first plan (hill/forest/castle) is much brighter and combining this first plan with dark background and sky.

Andre said:
Yes, it's an impressive castle with an incredible rich history going back to the eleventh century.

Very nice castle pic Andre! why couldn't you use the trick there? you have the program to convert raw pics right?

I finally have seen a sunset just like that one the other day and the problem was that I did not have my camera available on hand. I'm going past that same location next week so hopefully I pass there just at the right time. (highway)

I also like that door Turbo. I was thinking that it was yours but I assume by your comments, that it is not.

Great shots turbo and great place :!)

(it is about place and shots, not about Turbo - I mean, I like him, but let's not go too far :wink:).

~christina~ said:
Very nice castle pic Andre! why couldn't you use the trick there?

It's the HDR trick, Christina,

Notice that the contrast range during that sunset is to large to show both details of the castle and details of the clouds around the sun. Notice that Borek did a good job merging the better parts of the two pictures. But I'm not familiar with that technique. Too much to do.

Andre said:
It's the HDR trick, Christina,

Notice that the contrast range during that sunset is to large to show both details of the castle and details of the clouds around the sun. Notice that Borek did a good job merging the better parts of the two pictures. But I'm not familiar with that technique. Too much to do.

Oh, I know what that is but I thought that you would need 3 shots with it and that 2 would not be acceptable. You do have PS right, Andre? (PS would need 3 shots too actually merge pics into an HDR shot and there is some other program that would do it with 1 if you have a raw photo)

~christina~ said:
You do have PS right, Andre?

No, I didn't bother because I had no idea where to get to time learning to work with it. I guess it's inevitable now, if I want to stay in business, seeing what you can do with larkspur's and Borek's results.

I attempted to download a freeware HDR-maker yesterday, but then all the alerts went off. A trojan virus (Avast! is great). So no dice.

~christina~ said:
Oh, I know what that is but I thought that you would need 3 shots with it and that 2 would not be acceptable. You do have PS right, Andre? (PS would need 3 shots too actually merge pics into an HDR shot and there is some other program that would do it with 1 if you have a raw photo)

I am not using any of the automatic stuff present in new CS2 or CS3 Photoshop, as all I have is an outdated CS - so I am forced to manual processing. Could be these automatic procedures require more than two pictures - shame on them then :wink:

For me 2 shots are enough although even then I use 3 pictures - two of them being bright and dark ones, and third being a mask - but I am making this third using one of original pictures. You may try to fake two pictures starting with one and modifying its histogram to get one dark and one light picture, but it won't give as good results as two separate, original pictures.

Google HDR tutorial, there is a plenty of very good explanations on the web. I know only a few simple tricks and my experience is close to zero.

Andre said:
No, I didn't bother because I had no idea where to get to time learning to work with it. I guess it's inevitable now, if I want to stay in business, seeing what you can do with larkspur's and Borek's results.

I attempted to download a freeware HDR-maker yesterday, but then all the alerts went off. A trojan virus (Avast! is great). So no dice.

My suspicions on those "free" software, being virus ridden is confirmed. PSCS2 is good (I have it) but you get to use the features one by one if you learn on your own. I think that they only sell the latest versions in stores though.

Borek said:
I am not using any of the automatic stuff present in new CS2 or CS3 Photoshop, as all I have is an outdated CS - so I am forced to manual processing. Could be these automatic procedures require more than two pictures - shame on them then :wink:

For me 2 shots are enough although even then I use 3 pictures - two of them being bright and dark ones, and third being a mask - but I am making this third using one of original pictures. You may try to fake two pictures starting with one and modifying its histogram to get one dark and one light picture, but it won't give as good results as two separate, original pictures.

Google HDR tutorial, there is a plenty of very good explanations on the web. I know only a few simple tricks and my experience is close to zero.

Lucky you..For me, I have to use 3 shots or the computer says they're not enough, "dynamic range" to work with. I tried to adjust the same picture 3 times but the computer would not be fooled. I had to tweak the picture a whole lot before it would accept it and after that, the final product looked as if someone were looking into the sun. (very washed out)

I'll get it right someday. :biggrin:

~christina~ said:
Lucky you..For me, I have to use 3 shots or the computer says they're not enough, "dynamic range" to work with.

There is absolutly no problem with you following exactly the same path I do - and doing HDR manually. I will try to find a tutorial that will deal with the manual approach.

A little bit about th eapproach I am using, although it doesn't tell many important things about creating layer mask:

http://www.adidap.com/2006/11/25/photoshop-tutorial-hdr/

Sorry, I can't locate perfect tutorial that I have read last year, it is either no longer available or I forgot too many details to locate it with Google. I have not gave up yet, but don't hold your breath.

Borek said:
A little bit about th eapproach I am using, although it doesn't tell many important things about creating layer mask:

http://www.adidap.com/2006/11/25/photoshop-tutorial-hdr/

Sorry, I can't locate perfect tutorial that I have read last year, it is either no longer available or I forgot too many details to locate it with Google. I have not gave up yet, but don't hold your breath.

I'll try that after next week and see what happens. Thanks for that tutorial, Borek.

Here is a blue-flag (iris) in the shaded little frog-pond near my vegetable garden. As luck would have it, the only little glimmer of sunlight that got through the trees was on the flower. I'm not really happy with the DOF, but it was pretty dark in there.
iris.jpg
:redface:

Warsaw, last week, Old City. Street Art Festival. We haven't seen too much as we were late.

TukkersConnexion, Turn Up.

IMG_5332.jpg

IMG_5341.jpg

IMG_5343.jpg

And now, Ladies and Gentelman, I know you all think Warsaw and Poland are somwehere in the far east... But it is all relative and in reality we are far to the west from the east and we don't see these things every day:

IMG_5361.jpg

IMG_5367.jpg

IMG_5379.jpg

Edit: I was just suggested (on some other forum) that this picture should be titled UFO over Warsaw. As such it is for Ivan :smile:
IMG_5456.jpg

IMG_5488.jpg

Honestly, I don't like these pictures. I should took better ones. :frown:

Last edited:
A tighter crop of my ladybug buddy from earlier today. Shot at 135mm (closest focus) with the 28-135 EF.

ladybug2.jpg

Lake_Huron.jpg

My Lake

Borek said:
IMG_5456.jpg

Edit: I was just suggested (on some other forum) that this picture should be titled UFO over Warsaw. As such it is for Ivan :smile:

It would be if you cropped above the stick that the man is using to throw the disk with.

turbo-1 said:
Here is a blue-flag (iris) in the shaded little frog-pond near my vegetable garden. As luck would have it, the only little glimmer of sunlight that got through the trees was on the flower. I'm not really happy with the DOF, but it was pretty dark in there.
iris.jpg
:redface:

Lovely color you captured Turbo!

hypatia said:
Lake_Huron.jpg

My Lake
That is beautiful hypatia! I really like the clouds.