Percent Composition and Finding Formula - Chemistry

The formula of the sulphide formed is FeS.In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the formula of a sulphide formed when 50.0g of Sulphur is mixed with 100.0g of iron and heated strongly. After the reaction, 12.5g of iron remains. Through finding the molar ratios and using the mass of reacted iron, the formula FeS is determined.
Larrytsai
% Composition and Finding Formula - Chemistry

50.0g of Sulphur is mixed with 100.0g of iron and heated strongly. When the reaction is complete 12.5g of iron remains. What is the formula of the sulphide formed?

What i have done so far is i got the 2 mols of each element.

Fe=1.79
S=1.56

i divided biggest/smallest and i get 1.41
now i need to know how to put it in ratio form and what to do to find the formula for Sulphide

Physics news on Phys.org
it said 12.5g of Fe was unreacted!

Kushal said:
it said 12.5g of Fe was unreacted!

hmm so i should go 100-12.5 then find the mol then find the ratio?

yeah... this is it...

you divide the mass reacted by the respective atomic mass. then you find the ratio.

1. What is percent composition in chemistry?

Percent composition in chemistry refers to the percentage of each element present in a compound by mass. It is calculated by dividing the mass of an element by the total mass of the compound and multiplying by 100.

2. How do you calculate percent composition?

To calculate percent composition, you need to know the molar mass of each element present in the compound. Divide the molar mass of each element by the total molar mass of the compound and multiply by 100 to get the percentage.

3. Why is percent composition important in chemistry?

Percent composition is important in chemistry because it helps determine the identity and purity of a compound. It also provides valuable information about the chemical and physical properties of a compound.

4. What is the difference between empirical and molecular formulas?

Empirical formula is the simplest whole number ratio of elements present in a compound, while molecular formula gives the exact number of each element present in a molecule. Empirical formula can be determined from percent composition, while molecular formula requires additional information such as the molar mass.

5. How do you find the formula of a compound using percent composition?

To find the formula of a compound using percent composition, you need to first convert the percentages to masses. Then, divide each mass by the molar mass of the corresponding element to get the number of moles. Finally, divide the number of moles by the smallest number of moles to get the empirical formula. To find the molecular formula, you need to know the molar mass of the compound and can use the ratio of empirical formula mass to molecular formula mass to determine the factor by which to multiply the empirical formula.