Electric Field problem Is my math wrong or am I doing something else wrong?

In summary, the electric field at a point midway between a -7.0 µC and a +6.0 µC charge 5.0 cm apart is -1.44 X 10^7 N/C, directed towards the negative charge. The proper sign for each field contribution must be determined by considering the direction of the field from each point charge, which is away from the positive charge and towards the negative charge.
Bensky
Electric Field problem :( Is my math wrong or am I doing something else wrong?

Homework Statement

What are the magnitude and direction of the electric field at a point midway between a -7.0 µC and a +6.0 µC charge 5.0 cm apart? Assume no other charges are nearby.

Homework Equations

E = KQ_1/r^2 + KQ_2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Q_1 = -7X10^-6 C
Q_2 = 6X10^-6 C
K = 9X10^9
r = 0.025m

E = KQ_1/r^2 + KQ_2/r^2
E = (K)(-7X10^-6)/(.025^2) + (K)(6X10^-6)/(.025^2)
E = -100800000 + 86400000
E = -14400000 N/C or -1.44 X 10^7 N/C (incorrect)

Direction: toward the negative charge (correct)

Physics news on Phys.org
Bensky said:
E = KQ_1/r^2 + KQ_2/r^2
E = (K)(-7X10^-6)/(.025^2) + (K)(6X10^-6)/(.025^2)
Careful! You must think through each contribution to the total field in order to give it the proper sign. (You can't just plug into the formula.)

Let's say the negative charge is on the left and the positive charge is on the right. Using what you know about the direction of the field from a point charge, which direction is each field contribution at the point in question? Once you've figured out the direction, then you can give it the proper sign. (For example: To the left = negative; to the right = positive.)

Doc Al said:
Careful! You must think through each contribution to the total field in order to give it the proper sign. (You can't just plug into the formula.)

Let's say the negative charge is on the left and the positive charge is on the right. Using what you know about the direction of the field from a point charge, which direction is each field contribution at the point in question? Once you've figured out the direction, then you can give it the proper sign. (For example: To the left = negative; to the right = positive.)

I am slapping myself now. Of course Doc Al is right. The two E-fields at the center point in the same direction. I erased my post since it was completely wrong.

Doc Al said:

Thanks, I got the answer right, but I'm not sure why I got it right. I ended up making both of them positive and adding them, but from the problem it doesn't seem like the charges would go in the same direction. Why is this so?

Bensky said:
Thanks, I got the answer right, but I'm not sure why I got it right. I ended up making both of them positive and adding them, but from the problem it doesn't seem like the charges would go in the same direction. Why is this so?

You must ask yourself in what direction the electric field produced by each charge points.

The question is not quite clear because they don't say which charge is on the left and which charge is on the right. Let's pretend the positive charge is on the left and the negative charge is to its right.

Then ask yourself: in what direction is the E field produced by the positive charge at a point midway between the two charges?
In what direction is the E field produced by the negative charge at that point?
Answer those questions and it should clear up why you had to add them up.

Now, to make sure you understand, repeat with this time the positive charge on the right and the negative charge on the left. You will find the the E field points in a different direction but the magnitude of the E field will be the same as before

Last edited:
Bensky said:
Looks like kdv gave you a good answer (while I was busy with another thread). Study it and answer his questions step by step.

This fact about charges, which you should know, is key: The field from a positive charge points away from the charge; the field from a negative charge points toward the charge.

Thank you to both of you, I understand now.

1. What is an electric field problem?

An electric field problem is a situation where the distribution of electric charges in a given space creates an electric field. This field can then interact with other objects or charges in the space, resulting in various phenomena such as attraction or repulsion.

2. How do you calculate an electric field?

The electric field at a point is calculated by dividing the force on a test charge at that point by the magnitude of the test charge. The formula for this is E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force, and q is the test charge.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving electric field problems?

Some common mistakes when solving electric field problems include forgetting to account for the direction of the electric field, not considering the influence of all charges in the space, and making calculation errors. It is important to carefully consider all variables and double check calculations to avoid these errors.

4. How can I check if my math is correct when solving electric field problems?

One way to check if your math is correct is to use the principle of superposition, which states that the total electric field at a point is the vector sum of the individual electric fields created by each charge. Additionally, you can use the unit analysis method to ensure that the units in your calculations are consistent.

5. What are some real-life applications of electric field problems?

Electric field problems have numerous real-life applications, including in the design of electronic devices, understanding the behavior of lightning, and in medical imaging techniques such as electrocardiograms. They are also used in the study of electromagnetism and in the development of renewable energy sources.